Starting Out...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by D9V1F4C, Jul 1, 2008.

1. D9V1F4C

D9V1F4C New Member

I AM ATTEMPTING A CAREER CHANGE, SINCE I AM STILL YOUNG I DECIDED NOW IS THE TIME TO DO IT, I WAS TALKING BACK AND FORTH TO OUR IT GUY AT WORK AND HE LEAD ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I STILL HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS I AM HOPING YOU CAN HELP ME WITH. FIRST OF ALL, I ORDERED THE MCP: XP PROFESSIONAL (70-270) AND COMPTIA NETWORK + FOR SELF STUDY. WHICH ONE DOES EVRYONE BELIEVE I SHOULD START WITH, OR WILL ONE GIVE ME BACKGROUND INTO THE OTHER ONE? ALSO, DOES ANYONE RECOMMEND ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD DO, I HAVE MY LAPTOP THAT I AM GOING TO BE USING AS A TRAINING TOOL FOR THE MCP EXAM. ALSO, I AM NOT GOING INTO THIS JUST FOR THE MONEY, BUT OUT OF CURIOUSITY, WHAT IS THE AVERAGE BASE PAY FOR AN MCO/NETWORK + CERTIFIED IT WORKER? THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP, IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

WIP: MCP (70-270), NETWORK +
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

:D Ok apart from that, the best thing to start with is the Comptia A+, build your basics up first before you try to take on the more advanced fundamentals of networking & vendor specific training.

As for starting wage, your first job will be anywhere from approx £12k to £16k (some places will offer less, but will put you thru some sort of training etc). No certification will guarantee you £X amount of money, especially when you do not have any experience. Study hard, work smart and you'll get a good job in the future.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

You may want to locate your caps-lock key - using only upper case is considered 'shouting'.

The usual beginners certs are considered to be CompTIA's A+ and Network+, as these are vendor neutral and cover the foundations well.

The MS exam you mention is very focussed on XP Pro. This is fine if that is all you are going to be doing, but may not cover enough ground.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  5. D9V1F4C

D9V1F4C New Member

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFORMATION, AND yes I do know where the caps lock key is, BUT AT MY CURRENT EMPLOYER WE ARE TO USE CAPS LOCK...DON'T ASK, ANYWAYS THANK YOU ALL AGAIN VERY MUCH FOR THE INFO.

WIP: MCP (70-270), NETWORK +
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

However my friend, you may want to use the caps lock key if you need help from CF members

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong