Starting out Security+

Discussion in 'Security+' started by zimbo, Feb 7, 2007.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Well i have decided over the past day or so this is what im going to tackle next.. Sec+! Looks like this forum is dead so i guess ill have to bring it to life often! :biggrin

Anyone whose done the cert post your comments here.. also do we have security gurus in the house? zeb, harry ??

Text's im going for the Sybex 3rd edition and Syngress. The later being outdated apparently for the current exams questions but not for the current objectives - even the Sybex one doesnt cover as much as its supposed to. So anyone got a site with free security info and whitepapers?

I have found http://www.securitydocs.com/ ,http://www.certifiedsecuritypro.com/ , http://www.windowsecurity.com/ and http://www.securityfocus.com./

8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I loved the Syngress book with the previous objectives.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

No more opinions on the books or exam? :rolleyes:

4. BosonMichael

Okay... I *really* loved the Syngress book with the previous objectives. :p :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nice choice of exam Z. May look at it myself, once I can get my arse into gear! :rolleyes:

6. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

this one is something I will definitely be looking at in the future (maybe about 6-9 months time)
    I already have the LearnKey 4CD video set, the AudioWhiz 3CD audio set and the ExamCram practice test engine 2 disc set.
    Haven't actually tested them out yet though.
    ;)

7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ok ok! hehehe :biggrin The problem is that is outdated... only the sybex book looks updated which is a shame really... how are people expected to study when they cant find material? they update the questions and not a book in site.... i am also looking at the new street smart for Sec+....

8. BosonMichael

Well, to be honest, there hasn't been a lot of time since the update. Hard to update the materials accurately before the update happens, and it takes time to update them afterwards, ya know? ;)

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Z - Good luck on your studies, hope all goes well

10. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Good luck man :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  11. hardraj

hardraj Banned

I would advise that you read up on encryption that is where most of the techy stuff comes in the rest is about how high a fence should be and so on.

Also Il tell you what worked for me I read the Sybex Security+ book and read the CIW Security Analyst book - there is alot of gaps that each other fill up.

Also read up on the Laws and Regulations and stuff like that

Hope this helps

Certifications: CIW, SECURITY+
  12. GW

GW Byte Poster

From different reads on the Internet I've heard that alot of the questions on the Security+ exam are based from the Mastering Network Security book (ISBN 0-7821-4142-0) and the Network Security A Beginner's Guide (ISBN 0-07-222957-8.) as well some other material both of which are covered in the Sybex and Syngress certification guides.

I've studied for the exam but I wasn't able to get the money saved up to take the exam.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Thanks GW! I still havent ordered any study material yet so im still looking at my options. The one thing i would like to ask is both those books are 2002 and 2003 - which is a fair time ago - are you aware the questions were updated? Sybex seem to be the only "new" book out there and this is starting to worry me..

14. GW

GW Byte Poster

The exam tests the basics of security and the basics really don't change that much outside of additional topics being added to the exam. One topic that I heard is covered in the exam which are not covered to well in the above books is Bluetooth security which you can read up on the Internet.

I would suggest you get the listing of topics being covered on the exam from the CompTia website and just make sure you have a good grounding in those topics.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  15. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Will do... Another thing that has crossed my mind is how well do Comptia stick to the exam objectives or are they like MS exams where because you require x experience they throw some questions at you from no where! :(

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I dont remember any 'surprises' when doing the CompTIA exams although there was a few 'WTF!' questions in the MCP exams Ive taken so far :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i downloaded the objectives and have looked at them.. and to be honest im a bit stumped! I have heard phishing and pharming have now been added to the test pool, and now from GW Bluetooth security - yet NONE of these appear in the exam objectives which appear under the name Version 1.0.

So if i can sum it up from the way i see it:

• Books for self-study are either outdated or lack material BIG TIME
    • Exam objectives are outdated - apparently
    • Exam costs £150 - if i had proper resources this wouldnt be a problem!

Yes i know im supposed to have 2 years on experience in a security role but i thought atleast the objectives would point me in the right direction! To be honest im actually confused to go ahead with it or not? I mean if i dont know properly on the exam and the material i have in my hands wont help - do i have a chance in passing? :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if a "new" book from any publisher is coming out anytime soon? I know O'reilly are pushing out a A+,N+ and S+ "all in one" in a nutshell book sometime soon. And then there is the Street smart from sybex (but i guess that will be a little more practical?)

Ideas guys please? :cry:

18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

*bump* :(

19. BosonMichael

Is it really that hard to go to Amazon and type in "Security+"? :p Just sayin'. 8)

If a book is coming out, it is usually listed on Amazon months before the publish date. If nothing is listed... there may not be anything coming out.

That said, an update for the book that I recommended for the previous version of Security+, the Syngress title, is due out on April 1, 2007.

20. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

True... and amazon uk doesnt have it yet... my mistake.. didnt cheak amazon US! :oops:

Nice mike thanks mate! Now things are looking on the up! :biggrin

Edit: Well i guess that a relief! Also i think by then i should have done most of my coursework for uni or had it under control so ill have time to start it! 8)

Until then! 8)