1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting off

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by AndyR, Aug 27, 2009.

1. AndyR

AndyR New Member

I have very basic knowledge of VB but is that the best language to start off on or is C, C++ a better idea??

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I started on VB many years ago, VB 6.0 if I rememeber correctly. Then onto C++ after that.

VB is a good place to start.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010
  3. AndyR

AndyR New Member

Theres 10 years between publications for books on VB6 and VB2008. What is the difference between versions of VB and am I better with the newest version?

4. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

I also started with VB (however version 2, then 3, missed 4 but jumped to 5 & 6), tried Pascal (didn't get on with that), then moved to C/C++, JAVA, Eiffel and then Prolog. I would definately say that VB is a very good place to start :)

When I was at Uni, I tried to program in VB .Net (the first version) after having experience in VB 5 & 6 (just to show I had my C&G's in Programming with VB & my NVQ in Software Creation, using VB 5) and I found it hard.

Are you actually trying to learn to program or are you actually going to learn that language for work?

-ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I would suggest starting with C# as it's a great language and .NET framework is decent too

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. AndyR

AndyR New Member

Looking to learn to program. Not going to jump straight into a language but, will learn some of the ins and outs of programming itself 1st i think.