starting N+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by marty1986, Aug 21, 2009.

1. marty1986

marty1986 Bit Poster

Hello everyone, just about to start my N+ I currently work in a datacentre and have just been set passing my N+ as part of my quartly objectives been looking through previous posting about setting up labs to practice, I have alot of experience cabling and patching networks with UTP cat 6, fibre both multi and singlemode, was just wondering if you think ill be ok just setting up virtal lab because dont have much room to set up and real network?

Cheers Martyn.

WIP: A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you already have alot of experience, then I can't see why not :) I passed the Network+ with on the job work and the MS Press Network+ book (that was a good few years ago though).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I passed my N+ with nothing more than the experience of setting up a few home networks under my belt and whatever network knowledge I picked up from doing the A+.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I did it from studying the a+ and having a vitual network at home and the N+ books

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. ooberman

ooberman Bit Poster

I was going to ask a question about the experience recommended to take the N+ exam, but going by the responses of greenbrucelee and soundian I should be okay, I have the A+ and have installed countless home networks now but never really messed about with server networks.

I think I might order the material and have a look at it.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: ???
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If the N10-003 is anything to go by, it's pretty much all client side apart from a little dip of the toe into the murky waters that are WANs.
    Although I've not investigated much, the difference seems to be that the N10-004 is narrower (almost exclusively TCP/IP) so they've hiked up the pass-mark to compensate.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

This is pretty much it, there is very little discussion of anything other than TCP/IP in the new version. Older technologies have next to no coverage at all.

From your description of your level of experience you should be fine.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10