Starting My MCSE!!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Godson, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Godson

Godson Bit Poster

K i need help....

Just starting a job straight after Uni and my company has given me the chance to start some IT cert but i'm not too sure which one to do.....

I wanne head down the System Analyst path (get some technical experience but further down the line i really want to go into Management) and yes i want a CERT that would mean high-pay jobs...

I have the degree and the experence but from what some IT recruitment firm have told me is that the only thing i'm missing is the IT cert....

I'm thinking of doing an MCSE but i heard there are different path to it, i.e. Security... Can anyone please help me break down the different path, i have until this week to let my boss know....

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

why dont you have a look on the microsoft website to see the MCSE paths availabe - the only advice i can give right now is go straight for the 2003 not 2000...

this link will take you to the MCSE page...

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/default.asp

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Don't start with the MCSE, try doing things like the MCDST or the A+ first.

Build your skills from the ground up, as I'm assuming that you're new to the world of IT your company won't be letting you loose on their servers straight away, you're more likely to be doing the desktop support end first and working upwards from there.

8)

4. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

Yea I would reccomend A+, followed by Security+ leading on to MCSE 2003 security track.

Good Luck with it

S.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I would recommend the foundation certs (A+, Network+, etc...) before tackling anything higher level. Aiming too high might not work out too well if you don't understand the basics first.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Godson

Godson Bit Poster

No!!! I'm not new to IT. I have a degree in Business Information Systems and 1 year expereince in the IT industry (Finance and IT sector to be correct)... But however it seems that most organisation don't really care about my degree, all they want is a IT cert...

I am current working for an IT company doing 1st line and 2nd line support, so i'm building my exerience day-by-day...

I don't want to do an easy IT cert, i want something challenging, i feel that the A+ will be easy

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'm sure that a few people around here will tell you otherwise! I can't comment as I've never taken the cert but you may find some of the materials you are required to know are harder than you may think.

1st and 2nd line support sounds like an ideal MCDST candidate to me, and believe me they sre not easy exams unless you know your stuff.

8)

8. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

1 year? :blink
    i'm sorry, but you're new!

and to quote from your original post:
    it really doesn't work that way. there is no quick route to big bucks. you gotta work to gain the experience, and you gotta study to get certs, and most important you gotta start at the bottom. and while mcse isn't top of the line when it comes to certs, it sure ain't no entry level cert either.
    if a+ is too easy, then why not ace it and use it as an elective credit? http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/partners.asp

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. Godson

Godson Bit Poster

How long do these courses take to complete?
    And also is there a tree structure in these courses, e.g. do you have to do an MCSE before you can do an MCSE Security?

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

There is no structure to them. you can take exams in any order to want to. How long they take depends on which route you take to complete them. The vast majority of people opt for the self study route which involves buying the book, reading it, and playing with the technology in a test lab. Alternatively you could opt to go with a training provider who will give you time limits to complete units.

Which ever option you go for the time it takes for you to be ready for an exam depends on how comfortable you feel with the product you are trying to learn. I tried to learn SQL once, and spent nearly a year doing so, but still didn't feel comfortable enough with it to take the test.

HTH. 8)

12. Uruloke

Uruloke Nibble Poster

Godson, the literature I have from Computeach seems to indicate that I will be doing the Security+ exam last, after the MCSE. Somehow I don't think that is correct. I'll have to have a look at and post what it says about which exams are required. I think there are two MCSE exams for the Security one - the MCSE exam (or something) and then the "designing and implementing security in Windows Server 2003" exam, and that then gets you the MCSE: Security title.

I could be completely wrong though, I'll check when I get home. :) I think it's 9 exams in total though before get the qualification (that includes the A+ and Sec+ exams)

Certifications: GNVQ (Going Nowhere Very Quickly!)
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It usually takes several years and at least some experience working in a Microsoft networking environment before you achieve your MCSE. As far as the A+ being easy, I hear from recent test takers, that it's getting harder all the time. Don't take those skill sets for granted. Basic hardware and OS repair and maintanence is at the heart of a career in IT.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

A+, S+ and so on are def. not that easy!!! And they are good qualifications to get under your belt.