Starting my IT Career

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by Tmaiorca, May 11, 2015.

1. Tmaiorca

Tmaiorca New Member

Hey guys,
    So I have a really strong interest in computer networking. I'm currently attending Raritan Valley Community College, with only a year left for my associates in Computer Networking (been here 2 years but finally declared my major). I figured I'd start on my certificates now instead of waiting until I'm done with school. I've been on CompTia website and have also gained a lot of information from some friends in the field. I'm stuck at which certificates I should go for first.
    CompTia recommends starting with Strata IT Fundamentals, then A+, CcNa, etc. However, my friends say my foot in the door / entry should be starting with Network +. I haven't had too much hands on work with routers, switching, etc, so I was considering doing the fundamentals first. However my friends say since I have a basic knowledge of computers, I could just skip that. What route should I be focused on? I'd ideally like to become a network tech at first, however I know that may not be the option down the road. Thanks in advance guys

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi Tmaiorca

Your friends will always say that, after all they are your friends.

Networking would be normally a 2nd/3rd line role etc, so i dare say you would be better starting to look for a 1st line support role. That way you will build a solid foundation in your career. You can have all the certificates in the world but experience is the key and always will be.

Try and look for that type of role and in the meantime see if you can get any volunteer work in schools of colleges etc.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680