starting my A+ then gonna start looking for enrty level job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tysfoot, Nov 11, 2008.

1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

hi, im Gary

Im just about to start my A+ self study, eventually my aim is to be a network (cisco) engineer

ive been scanning though the forum and ive found that the first job in I.T is to work your way up is help desk support.

my question is, once ive completed the A+, (This might seem like a silly question) but when i get my first job in help desk support, is it a difficult job to do, or will it be easyier than the things ive learned in my study

silly i know, its just that im want to get in to I.T, ive always liked it and for years ive wanted to do be an engineer or some sort but because i have no experience in the the office enviroment i dont want it to chew me up and swallow me then i end up hateing it (Know what i mean)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hi Gary. Actually, that's a tough question to answer, because no one can predict what kind of job you may end up with as your "entry-level" job in IT. As others will probably suggest, it's not too soon to start looking for an entry-level job. You may not be considered while you're studying, particularly if you have no practical experience, but at least "looking" will tell you what is out there.

It's a safe bet to say that whatever you get hired in will be "different" than what you've studied. Not radically different, but there will always be a bit of a "disconnect" between "book learning" and what you actually do on the job. Even if your study materials include a lot of labs, most lab books aren't written in a real world way, addressing actual on the job type problems. If you listen to people who've worked on a help desk or doing desktop hardware and application support, they'll describe problems they've been presented with that no one could have predicted would happen in a million years.

Being in any sort of support role isn't just memorizing a bunch of device specifications and problem solutions, it's understanding how to approach solving a problem, even if it's a problem you've never seen before. Any job you get as a "newbie" will seem overwhelming at first and you may feel upset or frustrated that you aren't able to immediately solve all of the problems that people push at you.

Don't worry about that part. There will be a learning curve, even after you have studied and attained the A+ (or any cert). The whole thing really hinges on experience and most employers know there'll be a certain amount of training you'll have to go through once you are hired to get up and running.

I wish I could answer your questions more specifically, but that's about the best I can do at this stage of the game. As I think someone said in another one of your threads, certifications are about measuring what you already know how to do, not to "get you as job" as such. Good luck with your endeavours.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

I wold say that you can expect that the work you do on a helpdesk will be very much less practical, hands on work than you may like. I wold expect you to be solidly first line, that is taking and escalating calls with some call resolution. How much call resolution depends on the job, I close about 80% of all my calls but my job has a lot more freedom than some other helpdesk jobs. Easy or not is down to you, certain aspects of the A+ you just won't need in a first line job becuase you may not be physicaly dealing with any PC's, It's all job dependant though.

You may find your first job is just taking and escalataing calls with the odd password reset which by the sound of things will not be your cup of tea BUT you need less experience to get into those kind of jobs so not having your A+ wouldn't be a big deal. Once you've done the job for a bit and got your A+ you could then look for a job which has more practical call fixing aspects to it perhaps with some local desktop support etc. The other thing you can do is volunteer your spare time with the IT department in your current company, you may not do anything special but you should at least get the feel of hwo an IT department runs and it looks good on a C.V.

My best advice is to get out there and start applying, if someone takes a chance on you then you are one step ahead of all the other people who have the A+ but no real life experience. Plus also ask what traingin any new job provides, try and get them to agree to you taking your MCDST within a year or so of passing your A+ as you will suddenly find your services much more desirable with a years experience and two sets of qualies behind you. Also remember that entry level means just that and that it is only the first rung of the ladder so don't be discouraged if it isn't what you want to be doing long term because the whole point is that you won't.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA