Starting MCSE

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by apjungle, Aug 27, 2005.

1. apjungle

apjungle New Member

Hi All,

I've been working in the IT industry for several years have a Ba of IT and recently decided to start studying for my MCSE. I have just purchased the MS training package and am wondering which exam I should focus on first. Should I do the Win XP client exam (70-290) first or dive right in and do one of the Server exams?

TIA

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hi welcome to CF!

What is your knowledge of networks in general? Maybe it might be better to start from one of comptia's A+ or Network+ certs before going onto the MCSE.

The Client exam(s) are 70-270 and 70-210. Nearly everyone is doing 70-270 :the XP one. AND thats the one everyone seems to start from. 70-290 and the other 70-29x exams are the server exams. Have a look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/

Hope this helps!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi apjungle,

From what you say here, you may actually be able to just go stright for the start of the MCSE (sorry zimbo :oops: ) Can you clarify waht the "Ba of IT" is exactly - is this a degree ?

IMHO, start with the XP client exam (270, as you say ?) Then, go straight onto the server exam, as these cover a lot of common ground, so doing one after the other will provide a nice level of fluency to get you going.

Oh, and why not pop up to the New Members forum and drop us an intro ? The Guys here always like to say hi to new Members :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Give yourself a break and do the client exam first.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Gav, I assumed he meant Bachelor of Arts (BA) in IT. If so then yes it's a degree...

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

That's what I thought too, Sacha - just guessed that IT degrees were always BSc. Sorry if I'm wrong :oops:

7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Some of the IT degrees are BA as the student can take a business route (IT Strategy, IT Project Management, Dbase management, IT Managemenr etc) these routes are more BA. OR the student can do the scientific route (programming, networking) etc this'll be more BSC...Depends how your modules add up really that decides whether the degree will be BA or BSc...It's a typical trait of modular degrees - and IT degrees.

Computing degrees are typically BSc...IT can be either!

HTH Gav matey...

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sure does - thanks m8 :)