1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

starting an IT career

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by robskii91, Feb 28, 2012.

1. robskii91

robskii91 New Member

Hi,
    so glad i found this forum. A little bit about me first I'm 20 and recently had to drop out of university due to illness, i am slowly improving and have decided not to return to finish my degree which was in physical geography. I didn't enjoy it and have wanted for some time to quit. So I'm seeing my illness as a good thing to have a reason to get out and pursue what i really want to do with my life and that is a career in IT.

This is where I'm hoping for some advice, i have basic knowledge of IT, but know i will need certifications but wondering if it's best to get them before trying to get a job or if there is a chance that i will be able to land a job without them and get them once employed and have more money behind me for them.

Any advice on different certifications would be a great help, which ones are necessary and others you recommend, I've read around and the A+ seems to be a good starting point would i be correct? beyond that i have little idea. I want to gain quite a broad education in IT as i don't know what i will enjoy most so i believe for me at the moment nothing too field specific would be good would you agree?

Also what sort of jobs should i be applying for would a IT help desk job be beyond me at the moment without any certifications?

thanks in advance
    Rob

2. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

hi rob
    sorry to hear you were ill.
    By all means aply for jobs you never know if u dont try! in the meantime id do the A+ Course the book is about £30 and you can study at your own pace, there is also Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training which has free training videos for the whole course which are helpful.

Good luck!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. robskii91

robskii91 New Member

thanks for your advice ill get cracking on the A+ course