Starting a CCNA tutored course this week (any advise?)

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Yido, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Yido

Yido New Member

Hi guys

Im starting a CCNA tutored course this week and was just curious if any of you have been or are currently going through a simular path to accreditation.
    I will be using Netacad mainly but I take it tutor is their to advise.
    Can anyone give me any advise on it in general.
    I fully expect it to be hard work.
    I currently work in the network department for a large goverment organization and have been planning to get on with my CCNA for about 6 months now.
    I graduated my Bsc Computer science 2 years ago now so im not sure how it will compare to that but obviously a completely different structure altogether.
    Think im just getting a bit nervous that its going to be beyond me but I suppose ill just have to wait and see.

I thought it might be a good idea to get myself on a forum like this for advise throughout my cisco studies.

Thanks

Certifications: Bsc (Hons) Computer Science
    WIP: CCNA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Yido and welcome to CF:) best wishes with your CCNA studies as it can be achieved with hard work and persistence. Let us know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Yido

Yido New Member

Cheers onoski

Really appreciate it.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

good luck with your studies.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I did the coursework for the CCNA through netacademy some years ago and found it to be very good. You get the opportunity to work with real Cisco equipment and the latest IOS software, plus the training is provided by qualified educators. As I recall, part of the CCNA coursework takes you through the Network+ material, so you could pick that cert up along the way. Good luck in your pursuits.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Yido

Yido New Member

Thanks guys

Yeah tripwire I will look into that because another cert is always good. Have to look into what is required for the exam. Cheers

7. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Hi and welcome Yido, if you are already working in networking and have a CS degree then you should already have good preparation for CCNA studies. Before starting it can look pretty hair-raising, but when you get into it its not as scary as it looks, so long as you put in the study hours. If you can complete a CS degree then you should have the ability to complete a CCNA. Also note they offer two ways to sit the exam, ie. 2 exam format (640-822 + 640-816), or 1 exam format (640-802), with the 640-822 getting you the CCENT entry level qualification along the way.

As already said by trip, the CompTIA Network+ is a very useful prerequisite for CCNA, as CCNA covers quite a bit of this material as groundwork.

If you're looking for any books I could recommend the Cisco Press exam cert guide books by Wendell Odom - which I used in my course. My training provider (SkillsTrain) actually sent me these as part of the course. When I submitted some 'errata' which I found in the books, I actually received replies back by e-mail from the author himself addressing the points I made, along with a discount voucher from Cisco press. Note though that some other study guides can be less than helpful, and not really worth the time or money.

Another good resource I found helpful during my CCNA studies was the Cisco NetPro forum :-

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=main

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  8. Yido

Yido New Member

Cheers for the advice Rover
    I havn't decided if it would be better to do the tests as 2 or just the 1.
    Ill have to look at this nearer the time I think.

Anyway, today was my first day and all went well, tutor seems good.
    Just went through the very basics today which was very general and a nice easy start.
    Got my second evening tommorow and then thats me done for the week although I think im going to have the chapter 2 test to do but thats fine and ill have to try and get some reading in over the weekend although im not going to bombard my brain to much info all at once.

Early days but so far so good!