Starting a Career in IT Please help

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Codename_48, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Codename_48

Codename_48 New Member

Hi guys, I'm 23 in a week and I would love to start work in an IT job. I have been doing this online course and have passed the 070-270 and got my 271 and 272 booked for next month. I have always loved computers since I was around 8. Always pulling them apart and fixing them up, helping my parents/friends/colleugues out with their problems and bulidng, reparing tuning up my own computers.

I have a good level of knowldge about networking side of it as well as how the internet works, TCP/IP etc. Most of my friends and colleugues have described me as 'the computer guy' So I decided to just put my CV out there and start hunting for an entry level IT job, I really want to start at the bottom and work myself up. I don't see the point of doing all these MS qualifications without getting any expierience in the sector. I don't want to be a 'paper MCSE'.

I have re written my CV and even sent it to some proffesionals to sort me one out particulary targeting a career in IT. I was a web developer for a year but I was made redundant and I really do not want to do web design again. I've done alot of retail work and allthough I'm good at it I don't want to do it forever. I'm a real people person and I have always been complimented on my customer service skills as well as IT skills.

What kind of chance do you guys think I have?? I really want to do this I've had this ambition most of my life and I really just want to get my foot in the door. I'm not really bothered about wages, I'd happily work voluntarily just for the expierience.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: COMPTIA A+, MCDST,
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

You don't really want to be studying the MCSA or MCSE until you have the relevant experience. For the MCSA your supposed to have 6-12 months experience as network administrator and 12-18 months experience as a systems engineer before even attempting them. Having these without the experience can go against you when looking for jobs.

The generally certification starting points are A+,N+ and MCDST as with the career most people start at the bottom so you should be looking for helpdesk jobs, IT technician jobs and Field technician jobs. Once you gain experience you can move on career and cert wise to higher level positions if that is what you want to do.

I see your a hitman fan too :), hope they bring out a new game soon I am getting sick of finishing every other game in every concievable way.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's difficult to get your first IT job, but it's doable. All of us were in your shoes at the start, with no experience and looking for our first IT job opportunity. If we did it, you can do it too.

I'd recommend getting the certifications that GBL mentioned: the A+, Network+, and MCDST (the latter of which you are already pursuing).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

i think you have a great chance with that enthusiasm. Get your self volunteering if you have the time at the minute. On your CV i would highlight those customer service skills and also any jobs you have done which showed a level of trust/responsibility being put in you if youo have it, then your experience you have from playing with computers. Good luck

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Codename_48

Codename_48 New Member

thanks guys, i didn't know as much as i did now so looking back I would have never enrolled in an online MCSE course. You know how these sales people are. My course runs out in August, I still haven't done the MCSA or E but there is accsess to a COMPTIA course as thats included. I may just forget about MCSA and MSCE I know I paid for them but I much rather have an IT job to begin with. I really appreciate your help. I'm glad it is doable.

In reply to greenbrucelee there is rumoured to be another hitman game in the works. I'ts very likley as it was written in an eidos report in 09.

Ill get have a look on the Cert Forums, get my MCDST qualifications and my comptia while job hunting,lthanks again to everyone that replied,
    :)

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: COMPTIA A+, MCDST,