starter certs

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by chaosengine, Feb 1, 2013.

1. chaosengine

chaosengine New Member

Hi there,
    I have been researching the 'beginner' certifications. I know I should start with the comptia A+ and N+ as they are universally known as beginner certs. Is this sill the case? - I would like the best bang for buck. Im looking to get my foot in the door of a IT firm, probably in 1st line support. Ultimately I would like to work with networks or in tech support.
    My question to you guys is, should i for go the comptia and head for the MTA IT infrastructure track, 349,365,366,367 which is like £400 for all exams. Or perhaps the 70-680/70-685 pair for enterprise desktop support win7?

I obviously want to walk before I can run, but want to start out on the right pathway. What do you think guys?

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Depends how much you know already, but the A+ and N+ are excellent beginner certs.

The 680 and 685 are quite difficult for a newcomer. I'd start with the A+ definitely, and go from there.

Aside: my grandfather was from Redruth, and my surname is Trythall, which is a tiny, tiny hamlet north of Penzance. I went there many years ago, and have my picture taken underneath the sign. It's fortunate I wasn't named after someone born 1/4 mile in the other direction, or my surname could have been Ding-Dong!

3. chaosengine

chaosengine New Member

Lol thats quality.
    Thanks, I thought u might say stick with the A+. Thing is, its kinda boring. Needs must I suppose. Other thing, the MTA's I mentioned seem to cover a lot of the comptia and networking but not as in-depth i assume, but could be more interesting? I have a fair amount of experience in IT, so not 'new' as such, just un-certified and looking for the best certs to take that are not going to be shelved and obsolete as soon as i've finished them :)

Im hoping by the end of the year to have some new certs so nows the time to figure out which to start with ! If money was no object i'd go for them all, but i really need to be canny in what I study for as the exams are £100 each so i need to be wise.

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

It's very dry, yes. I wasn't learning a lot apart from what the system crystal was (!) I found that actually baffling. I lost it after the exam objectives at the time wanted to know proper characteristics of the processor, like whether the Pentium 3 was double-pumped or not (I have no idea!)

I would still do the A+ as that will help to establish what exams are and help towards a first-line job. It's not the only thing, such as a good CV and experience, but it may just set you apart from another candidate.

5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Chaosengine, cool name by the way, reminds me of my Amiga days :)

The A+ and N+ are brilliant places to start. Like a building, if you want a sky scraper, you need to have solid foundations. The A+ and N+ do cover the fundamentals, they don't go into great depth, but the best engineers start at the beginning. Get these smashed and get hungry for more I say. Alternatively if you already work in IT you might want to go the same route as me, the Microsoft client exam followed by what ever comes next in their certification track.

Cheers
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree with all that has been said. I went through the A+ and N+ route and although pretty boring at times, they proved to be a good start and "ease" into certification.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012