Started the NVQ 3 in Management

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Well I have to say that after 1 1/2 months of waiting, give or take, I've start my first module of my NVQ. I'm aiming to finish this in 6 months, hopefully I'll get it done by then.

While it's extra work, I'm glad that I'm doing a qualification, while related to my job, isn't IT based. Sometimes just doing IT based/related qualifications/certifications it can get boring.

Oh well, here's to studying :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well done mate, always good to mix a few management/soft skills stuff into your CV. As you say, pure tech can get very dull at times. Good work, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Do you think the school might let you progress onto the Certificate of School Business Management?

Be careful ... you might be on the slippery slope to senior manglement!

4. Kitkatninja

Just took a look at it, not sure if it's something that I'd want to do in the near future. Apart from the NVQ3 in Management, the only other management qualifications that I have my eyes on is the LCGI diploma in Management (a level 4 qual) and maybe the NVQ 4 in Management (degree level, aimed at middle management).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If the level 3 is half as boring as the level 4 that I'm doing then good luck to you! :biggrin

6. Kitkatninja

-ken

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that I started it in march with aims of having it completed in six months - it wasn't as easy as I had expected!

So far I have only had one module signed off, and have almost completed another. During the time I've been doing it though we have already changed assessor once! I think that we are supposed to be onto our 4th module now, but out of the six of us doing it I think the most that people have handed in is two modules. finding the evidence to back up what you do is the hardest part.

On a personal note I think that my slow progress has been largely to having a wedding to prepare for, but now thats out of the way and work is fairly quiet during the summer I should be able to make progress.

8. Kitkatninja

Saying that, that's not bad, considering that a NVQ 4 is equivalent to a degree level qualification (NVQ's are based on old NQF which is only 5 level, instead of the new levels which have 8 level - for those that don't know). I don't know of any other degree level qualification you can gain within a minimum of 6 months :)

Cool when's the wedding?

-Ken

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

July 31st 2009. :biggrin

10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I swear Simon mentioned this in the most recent GTG thread...

Must. Pay. Attention.

Belated congrats matey :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

please tell me that was deliberate :p

seriously though, good luck with the NVQ sounds like good stuff :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. Kitkatninja

D'oh :eggface My memory isn't what it use to be :lol:

Yeah, it's GrumbleDook's humour :)

The NVQ is great, especially when it's free...

-ken

13. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hey Ken,

I know you have your Computing BSc from DMU,

Did you consider doing a postgraduate qualification such as an MSc or MA in Management (eqv to Level 7 on the NQF)? perhaps part-time / distance learning over a few years?

FatP

14. Kitkatninja

Hi Mate,

Yes I am considering my MSc in IT Service Management from Northampton Uni (part-time over 2 years). However it's the funds at the minute that is stopping me. Once I save up enough, that MSc is mine... :twisted:

I was also considering the MCGI from City & Guilds which is equivalent to a Masters degree, however it is now only available to people who hold the CEng, and since the BCS has no agreement with C&G's, the CITP is not accepted.

-Ken

15. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi again Ken,

If your looking to go down the "IT Management" postgraduate route then Sheffield Hallam university have the "IT & Management MSc". Its distance learning with all modules being assessed by cwk over 18 months or more.

16. Kitkatninja

Well I've finally handed over my completed NVQ portfolio over to my assessor for internal/external verification, technically speaking I would have finished it 2-3 months ago, but I had to wait for a couple of bits of evidence (they were time sensitive - so had to wait).

I'm excitied about finishing this, which is strange since I already have my level 4 (C&G's diploma) and 5 (FITS' cert) in management already.

Oh well, deciding what to do next...

-Ken