Started the N+ today!

Discussion in 'Network+' started by SVista, Apr 14, 2008.

1. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

Hi,

I've recently passed A+ and now have the cert bug. My manager at work gave me the MM book today so thought i'd crack straight on, they have also paid for some training software to go with it, so with a combination of the two i intend to get it cracked in 3/4 months. Thanks in advance for any help i pester you lot for on the way and thanks to anyone who offered me advice for the A+!!

Peace,

SV

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. geevee

geevee Bit Poster

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, best of luck with the studying and the exam :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-290, 70-621
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I passed the A+ last year, and after a couple of months of the Net+, I lost alot/all of my motivation, so.....!

Im also in the same boat, starting again this evening reading the book from cover to cover. Best of luck with it, keep us updated with how your getting on, lets hope we can all pass soon :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

The N+ is a big daddy exam because it covers so much stuff.

Having said that I use N+ stuff in my day to day work. The concepts I learnt constantly help me with microsoft certification.

If you find a clued up employer they seem to like the network+ because of how broad a base it covers.

It is a lot of studying and a lot of hard work but it is well worth it. Keep cracking on it. If you have A+ & N+ it counts as the elective on MCSA

By the way Mike Meyers is a legend!!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I gained my MCDST at the end of March and have just embarked on the Net+ also - haven't really jumped in too quickly, but will increase the pace now I get a few weekends to myself.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am reading the groth book at the minute will get the Mike Meyers book afterwards.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. SVista

SVista Bit Poster

Thanks guys,

The first 9 chapters are pretty straightforward, stuff i touched on in the A+, i feel ok with it, starting protocols now and it's interesting, Meyers using human analogies is cool, really simplifies things. Just a little apprehensive bout subnetting for some reason, i flicked the book open and saw a lot of the pesky 1's and 0's so i shut it real fast :)

I get my courseware on monday so can start interactive stuff too!!

Peace

SV

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  8. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Good luck with it. In my experience, people find the networking topics more difficult than the straight A+ stuff, but you have the right materials and attitude, and are certainly in the right place for support along the way.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You guys all "in the same boat" ought to get together and form a virtual "study group" and help each other out. If you think the N+ exam is difficult because it ties together so much general networking information, remember that each of you took and passed the A+ exams, which pretty much does the same thing for hardware and OS support.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Eggbert

Eggbert Bit Poster

Hey add me to the boat too :D

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: Diablo II
  11. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

So did anyone start a virtual "study group"
    And if so can i join?

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  12. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Lets do it anyone?

Just starting N+. Luckily I have just spent the past month also revising for two hardcore university networking exams, so alot of the stuff I know :) Lush!

So study group any?

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  13. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

I'm in the same boat too! :D

Just seriously started studying for Netork+ this week using the Groth book, Sybex fastpass guide and some CBT.

I've been skimming the material for a while now without really committing to learning all the facts and figures. Still going over the material a few times and from different sources really helps understand it all.

Ideally I'd like to get the exam out of the way in the next month or two. Anybody else thinking of sitting the exam in the next couple of months?

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  14. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

I have just started Network+ aswell. This subneting is getting confusing :S.

Certifications: MCTS, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MSCD
  15. greenbrucelee

unfortunately I study better on my own, when I get a bloody chance that is :D

With my work being the way it is at the moment I wouldn't be able to commit a certain amount of time to a group.

16. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hi all,

Just like to wish you well with your studies,

A special note to Svista, GBl and anyone who's got the MM Net+ book, below

Mike Meyers has some revised exam questions for those who own a copy of his Network+ AIO. These new questions are amended to show CompTIA's slight shift in question focus and go into more detail than the originals

If your interested click Here

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  17. greenbrucelee

Cheers for that Rafek.

18. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm hoping for a pass before the end of July, but thats going to take some hard core work! :)

Good luck everyone! :D

19. geevee

geevee Bit Poster

Just checking in to see how everyone's boat is sailing? :)

I've got my N+ exam booked for the 23rd of July, bit nervous but enjoying the studying. I've read Mike Meyer's book through twice now and I've just started with both of the Exam Cram books (normal and questions only) which I'm going through now. I'm scoring 80 - 90% on practice exams which I'm very pleased with, hope I can keep it up!

how is everyone else doing? :eek:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-290, 70-621
  20. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've taken a side track of passing the ITIL Foundation exam first, and then finding a new job..... Net+ is still floating around here somewhere! :D