Started N+, Mike Meyers

Discussion in 'Network+' started by roro, Feb 1, 2012.

1. roro

roro Bit Poster

Hey everyone,

I have recently passed my A+, now moving onto the N+, I am on Chapter 6 currently and was wondering for anyone that has read the book or if they are further than me in the book, they find that there is a LOT of information to memorize ? I try to understand most of it and I do, but some stuff you just have to memorize and I feel that the next day I am forgetting it, and that is why I write it down and review it as I go along in the book.

Definitely scaring me so far lol.

any insight or advice would be appreciated, I am currently not working so I am trying to study full time for the test.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: A+, Network +
    WIP: Haven't Decided Yet
  2. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

I am half way through studying the book too.
    I started out by watching the professor messer videos online first, and took extensive notes, from each one. That way, when I came to start reading the book I was already familiar with the material.

There is a lot to learn, but taking notes is the way to go. Writing (not typing) things out, can really impress the information in your memory.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, Linux+ / LPIC-1
    WIP: 70-680
  3. roro

roro Bit Poster

Do I have to pay for the professor messer videos?

I see everyone talking about it, I guess its time to ask how/where I can access these videos. There is some videos that came with the book on the CD, which I am going to watch after I read the book and review what I need to after.

Do you find information overload Les?

Also I bought a big notebook just for taking notes for all these Certs..lol, so you are definitely right there bud !

4. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

The Professor Messer videos are totally free, and are a really great resource. You can find them here: Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training

Sure, some parts are pretty daunting (like subnetting) but once you have got it, you will wonder what all the fuss was about :-)

Must have scribbled about a hundred pages or so just from the videos, but writing, really helps. Most of the time if I write something down to remember it, I will just remember it anyway.

5. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

I would completely agree. I'm on chapter 17 of 18 now having read and watch the videos together. I think it would have benefited me more to watch the videos first for the understanding and then read Mike Meyers book to expand on it. Prof Messer videos are free and absolutely awesome...a definate watch.

I'm going to booking my test for mid February...probably after some Boson practice exams

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  6. roro

roro Bit Poster

Thanks less, def will go over videos once I am done the book, would have done it before, but now I am almost half way done, so I will leave it for review.

I just finished TCP/IP(chapter 7), lord have mercy..lol. It took me pretty much all day to understand all this sub-netting, hosts, ranges, etc.

I have most of the concept down, but it is still confusing. I assume it will just get more and more confusing from here on ? lol

PS. Andy, let me know how the test goes and how you found the material, I will be aiming for end of Feb, best of luck !

7. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

I think subnetting is just about the hardest topic in the network+ from what I have seen in the videos, so I don't think you will be pulling your hair out by the end of the book!

8. roro

roro Bit Poster

lol thanks ! that makes me feel better.

By the way Les, when are you doing your test?

9. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

Not quite decided yet, still saving up for the voucher. Its a pretty expensive exam, so when I'm sure I'm ready, I will just book it, and go.

I think the way it is going, it will be late Feb to early March at the latest.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  10. roro

roro Bit Poster

Sorry about this very noob question,

Should I be booking for the Exam Code N10-004 or the 005 one? ( I am reading Mike Meyers, Fourth Edition, AIO)

doesn't really say in the N+ book which one I should be aiming for, although comparing exam objectives show me I should be taking the 004 exam. Any feedback or advice as in which exam I should take(or which one does the book aim for), much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  11. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

That would be N10-004.

I'm not entirely sure what the differences there are between the N10-004, and N10-005. So if you have studied N10-004 material, book the N10-004 exam.

I'm booking the N10-004 myself, as I am studying the material for that anyway. But I am thinking of watching the N10-005 videos as well, just because they will cover most of the 004 objectives, and I would like to stay current.

It will be interesting to see what has changed.

12. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

I'm going for the N10-004 exam because 1) I'm using Mike Meyers book that has been out for a while, 2) Prof Messer has only a complete set of videos covering the N10-004, there's only a handful of 05s and 3) I noticed the N10-005 halfway through my study!

Hoping to sit the exam in next few weeks.

13. roro

roro Bit Poster

Thanks guys ! that definitely clears up my concern.

I am now on Chapter 13, I am waiting to finish the book first before I start on professor Messor videos.

Just wanted to see if any of you gentlemen find the book an overload like I am, I feel I am forgetting what each term does what and where its used, because there is so many of them. That is in consideration of me not doing any review yet.

I just wanted to get a grasp of how everyone is feeling about this, I find the A+ was much easier, this definitely worries me about the exam.

14. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

If was going to start the Network+ from scratch again, I would begin by watching all of the Prof Messer videos first to get a understanding...and then read the book to build on it.

I started not having a clue of what all the terms meant and how they fit together, but trust me it does come...I'm seeing it now (end of book 1/2 way through videos). Just keep going...

Start to consolidate all your notes into cram sheets...so one chapter is one sheet, I found it a good way of breaking it down into manageable chunks. When you come to do your final revision you won't have a entire notebook of notes, but 18 pages of detailed concise and relevant notes.

15. roro

roro Bit Poster

good advice, definitely noted !

any suggestions from anyone as far as practice questions go ? book only came with 50 of them, so definitely not enough, I did look at the totalsem website as well, but I am open to any suggestions.

16. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

The CompTIA website has a few practice questions for the Network+ to give you a feel for the exam.

For the A+ I used Boson exams. They were very good but expensive.

I've recently bought Prep Logic exam at half the price of Boson, but I've not tried it yet (it was on special).

Other than that...practice practice practice. And make sure I know everything on the exam objects.

17. roro

roro Bit Poster

Got exam booked for Feb 24th, my stomach is upside down..lol

andy when are you going for yours

18. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

CompTIA have a selection on their site, that seem to be a pretty reasonable gauge to how you are doing:

Sample Questions

19. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Good luck roro!

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  20. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Hey Roro - I'm also doing me Net+ exam 24th Feb TOMORROW !!!. Good luck to the both of us...i'm still bricking it...