start preparing for A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by halnuaimi, Dec 31, 2011.

1. halnuaimi

halnuaimi New Member

Hello,
    I have some questions if someone can help me with please, so I know if I am in the right path.
    I just started to prepare for the A+, and by reading some passed posts I decided to go with book....
    CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702)
    Michael Meyers
    My questions are ,,,,
    1. Is that book enough by itself, or I need more resource ?
    2. Is there any videos I need to watch, or the CDs and practice test in the book above are enough?
    3. I have a good knowledge of computers and repair, what do you thing the time I need to read the entire book ?

thank you very much.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Try the free professor Messer vids. I would never recommend only one study source for any course.
    As for question 3, that depends on how your definition of "good" compares to CompTIAs definition of "Pass", and also how well you learn.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. halnuaimi

halnuaimi New Member

thank you

4. vitamin

vitamin Bit Poster

To be honest I would suggest reading the whole thing through. Its surprising what you do forget / don't know despite the experience you may have. :)

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: 70-680
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Very true:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. halnuaimi

halnuaimi New Member

thank you,,, Do you know if there is any exam simulator I can use ??

7. BASKIN

BASKIN Bit Poster

Sorry to hijack your thread, im also studying for this course.

Only just ordered the MM book yesterday. Can anyone recommend how to study for this?

My plan is to read through the whole book and videos by prof messer however do I read the whole book then go through videos or do them both along side one another? For example finishing chapter 1 then viewing videos related to that chapter?

Thanks!

8. halnuaimi

halnuaimi New Member

actually you gave me a great idea,, what im doing know is reading the book and then videos. subject by subject ... ty

9. BASKIN

BASKIN Bit Poster

No probs :) I was going to do that too but i've noticed the videos from prof mess do not really follow the MM book (obviously they wouldnt as they are different authors etc). I'm a bit worried about using the videos and getting info on something i havent covered in the book yet!

Think im still going to read the whole book through first then start over and nit pick the important things coupled with the tests at the end of each chapter.

10. Zac777

Zac777 New Member

Hello I am also preparing for the Essentials 220-701 A+ exam. I have been trying to choose the best material to study for this and chose the book: Exam Cram Comptia A+ 220-701 and 220-702 5TH Edition (David Prowse). I found it to be a very useful book as it only gives you the concise material needed to pass the exam. The book also gives you safari online book access to more practice questions and this was an added bonus.

Although I understand that the 701 and 702 exams are interlinked I did find it confusing however in understanding which parts of the book related to which exam as the book tackles both exams in one go. Im tackling the 701 exam first and want a book that really focuses on this exam only.

Any Suggestions most welcome. I have seen some threads on here about proff Mess study aids and also Mike Meyers passport A+ book and am looking this up. Thanks

11. englishkid19

englishkid19 Bit Poster

That book is very good but one criticism i have of it having read probaly 500 pages of the 1300 is that it is not very specifric, shoot me down but there is a fair bit of waffle in it, I use it as a resource for the finer more detailed difficult parts of study ( for me ive used it for memory types and specifications, cpu and hard disk help ) It is a very good book, read some books take some questions and make sure you get a hard copy of the 701 essentials domains ! best bit of advice is to get the syllabus .... so you know what you need to pass

12. BASKIN

BASKIN Bit Poster

Hi englishkid19 im assuming your referring to the MM book? In your experience would the book quoted by Zac777 along with the P-Messer videos be enough to pass?

13. englishkid19

englishkid19 Bit Poster

To be honest it all depends on you.......

If you have no computer knowledge then you will struggle with a+ anyways cos to me it is a very broad currciulum and requires alot of residual , absorbed knowledge . My personal experience is a Computer degree in 2006 and then 6 years totally out of industry and literally only using computers for internet / hotmail / youtube this year i started to do A+ after putting it off last year and have realised i actually know quite a bit already, it all depends on you .

PS - when i say struggle i mean anyone can pass it but for what amount of effort? and what time scale ? when does that trade-off for the certificate become not worth it ? i guess everyone has their own timescale, me personally if i cant get close to passing the 701 in the first week of April ( 17weeks of study ) then im not going to be happy, if i come out the exam having just failed i will be ok with that but if i totally flunk it then i will be having serious second thoughts on whether to continue with 702 practical exam ! Does that waffle make any sense ....