Standby Button is Greyed out

Discussion in 'Software' started by Johnd76, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

My brother re-installed his OS (xp pro) now his Standby button is greyed out......Im thinking his graphics card needs updated? am I right in thinking this :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the O\S fully patched up as well mate?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I had a similar thing years ago on an XP machine. The hibernate tab was missing and I think the standby button was greyed out too. Installed new graphics card drivers, as completely unrelated as they may seem, it fixed it. :blink

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

will have to wait till they get their internet up and running then i can see whats what

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Standby depends on recognizing the hardware correctly. I'd suggest that he didn't install the motherboard drivers, so XP doesn't know how to do standby.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Johnd76,

I'm not hbroomhall but the "...motherboard drivers..." should be on a separate CD that came with the motherboard. Once the Internet is accessible from that computer, you may be able to download the XP drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

This normally occurs in XP when you have not got the correct drivers installed for your Motherboard.

ACPI (Advanced Configuration & Power Interface) deals with all the nice things that XP can do such as Standy and Hibernate.

As previous posters mentioned, you need to make sure you have the correct drivers installed and this should solve your problems.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Cheers for the help, will get it sorted

10. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Looks like you were right.....downloaded the graphics drivers and hey presto, the Standby button is functional again

11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Cool, glad you got it working 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation