SQL Script

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by cockney jeff, Oct 7, 2008.

1. cockney jeff

cockney jeff Bit Poster

Hi all.

Am starting job as 1st line support. One of the items on the job spec was 'knowledge of SQL scripts'. Am A+ and N+ certified, but have no experience of SQL. Is this straight forward enough to learn? They did say that I would be given some training, but would like at least some basic knowledge of SQL scripts before I start in few weeks.

Have CBT CD rom on SQL Server, but this all seems way out of my league to be honest! Any web sites that could help?

Help!

Regards

Certifications: A+, Network + & MCP
    WIP: MCITP
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Try this :- http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

Get hold of a free RDBMS, if you're on Windows, MS SQL Express is probably easiest :-

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/express/default.mspx

The basics are easy, but it can get tricky fast ! Goodluck :D

3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Absolutely ROFLMAO.

"SELECT * from tblEmployer WHERE 'Clue' = NULL"

SQL Scripts? In a FIRST LINE role? Jesus wept - are agencies/exployers really that clueless?

SQL is NOT something you would ever be expected to use - even in 95% of second line jobs! It is complicated stuff.

Hopefully they'll just want you to know what SQL is, and how to execute a query in Access. There's plenty of stuff around on the web - this site is very useful in giving you pointers to the basics of SQL

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? Has the world gone mad? Next they will be asking you to configure a Cisco router! :biggrin

Im guessing that they have an inhouse developed app that may use SQL scripts for reporting or something like that.

Best of luck! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Basics are easy to learn, I started off using MS Access there are options to switch from the query designer to SQL. So you can design queries then look at the equivalent sql code. Then get a good book on SQL there are loads of references and 30 day courses use that with access. just play with it. You can test complex stuff with VB, VB.net or PHP, mysql (new lang no problem you only need to learn how to connect to database, send query, receive and print answers to test stuff load of examples on net)

Thats what i did before i got into SQL server admin, development and using tools such as crystal reports etc..

Database design is a bit of an art and indexes etc. But by the sounds you dont require that

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots