SQL Manager.msc help help help

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by itdaddy, Aug 21, 2006.

1. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

hey you sql gurus

i need the snap in for MSSQL the SQL Manager.msc

please dont point me to the tools none of our servers in the tools have the msc in the tools folder. i have looked all over the internet; got to love Microsoft love their download section
    you type in the *.msc name and nothing!
    wtf! be nice if you could type the name and get the correct answer.

where can i just get the msc snap in for the management of MSSQL help help..thanks in advance:oops: :eek:

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Which version of MSSQL do you have?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

ver 8.00.760 copy right 1991 to 2000

or where do i look to find it; i just click on the About inthe
    system tray area where you see the SQL icon.
    does this help?

4. hbroomhall

What happens when you try and add it to the tools in MMC?

Hrary.

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You're barking up the wrong tree fella - you need Sql Server Enterprise Manager. Its not part of the standard .msc snap-ins.

Once you install SQL Server it is installed by default - look on the Start menu under 'Programs' - 'Sql Server' and click 'Enterprise Manager'

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

if i had it i would add it to the tools folder
    but i had a new version and said CLSID not matching or something lik ethat. i have i think that newer one i tried and it rejected it;
    where can i just get the snap in msc for what is it MSSQL 2000?

7. hbroomhall

Hm - you certainly shouldn't mix versions - that way chaos lies!

Harry.

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I'm a bit confused here old son. Explain to me exactly what is installed and what isn't - along with what you tried to install afterwards that led to the CLSID error. You can't run more than one version of Sql Server on the same box. Period. That means any part of SQL Server (management tools included)

Like I say, let me know what the exact setup is. You may be able to get away with installing just the SQL Server management tools on another box and manage a FUBARed install from there. I seriously suspect though, that if you've been sodding around trying to install bits & pieces of other editions you are heading into 'Format & Reinstall' land...

9. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

thanks for your help will tell all tomorrow
    about what the issue is with this MSSQL server
    it is actuall an issue with Veritas Backup Exec
    and I want to detach and reattache DB.. to reset the path
    to the DB for veritas to work
    and then I can authenticate to the Veritas management screen.
    thanks
    see you tomorrow
    you guys are awesome
    :eek:

10. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

okay.

We have an Exchange Server 2003.
    there is Veritas Backup Exec 10.0 we use for it.

I went to it the other day cause backup failed.
    I went to the server and noticed it was at Authentication
    prompt when i tried to open Veritas up.

Event ID 7023 was in event fewer. cant find database
    alos MSSQL stalls at Devices and Media Service.
    I want to detach and reattach database.

In the right corner (system tray; by clock) is a servlet i call it.
    SQL icon. says in about: MSSQL Server Service Manager
    ver 8.00.760
    copyright 1991 to 2000.

it has 3 service/engines:
    1. SQL Server
    2. Distributed Transaction Coordinateor
    3. SQL Server Agent

The Server Agent fails to run stalls

So i was given tech tips of off veritas and to detach and reattch DB using OSQL command line failed there so I wanted to use the GUI SQL mmc snap in to do the job....but I cannot for the life of me find the correct MMC. sweet jesus; does MS$$ make it hard to find their tools; and of course on any of our servers with MSSQL we dont have the mmc why the hell not does it come with it it is a tool correct?? help you smart guys you...
    Veritas needs to run and need to straighten up this issue.
    any ideas or where i can get the correct mmc ?

thanks

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Fella - once again you're confusing yourself. As I understand it, this isn't an install of SQL Server - its installed as the back-end to Veritas. In this instance you won't have the SQL Enterprise Manager available - probably because you're actually using MSDE instead of the full version of SQL Server.

There is a GUI version of the SQL Management tools available for MSDE - but its not officially supported, and the reason 'Furry Tache's' support people have told you to use OSQL is because it is a command-line utility used to query and manage SQL DBs without using the management studio.

You need to go back to Veritas and explain to them that using the commands they provided you for the OSQL utility didn't work - for the love of God don't tell them that you have been rummaging around trying to connect to their SQL DBs using graphical utilities, otherwise they will laugh long and loud at you and put the phone down.

12. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

Hey Z,

I was just explaining; i know it is a small version that comes with Veritas....

and Veritas is the one who told me in their whitepapers to find the mmc snap in; if A doesnt work use B..(gui mmc snapin)
    they recommend the snap in but dont tell me what or where to get it. i can just see the screen shot of it.

i need to find this mmc to do the alternate plan B like veritas told me; it is their whitepaper and their recommend; i have in in hand with the url from veritas(symantec)
    i know it is the small version and i know it doesnt come with the package; but they recommend it mr Fella Z
    ;D do you know where i can get this mmc (*.msc)...

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Mate

Can you send me the screenshot? I suspect that they are asking you to use a third-party tool to manage the MSDE DBs. If you send me the screenshot I might be able to identify it.

I'm surprised that Veritas have aadvised you to use a tool that isn't officially sanctioned or certified by M$ to manage an M$ product. I've been a SQL DBA in the past - for eighteen months - and I had numerous causes to use third-party management tools for MSDE, but M$ have ALWAYS blanched at them - partly because they want people to upgrade to SQL Server of course, but also partly because they are so powerful that someone without an in-depth understanding of the full version of SQL Server can FUBAR things completely.

If it is indeed the SQL Server Enterprise Manager they are asking you to use, you will need to find a SQL Server installation CD and install using the 'Client Tools' only option - then create a new registration for the server where the Database is installed. This can lead you into problems if the person who installed Veritas hasn't documented the SA password they chose when installing MSDE and has chosen SQL Authentication instead of, or in addition to, Windows Integrated Authentication... But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it :)

14. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

Hey big Z,
    wow a DBA cool!
    you have way more experience than i!
    thanks; yes it is the
    "SQL Server Enterprise Manager" snap in..*.msc)
    yes, they say use it on Backup Exec 9.0 and 10.
    of which we have 10.0..so they must know it can handle it,
    tonight when i get hoome i will scan the entire doc in and send it to you. do you have an email i can send it to?
    mine is [email protected] if you send me an email
    i can send it back to you as an attachement
    ...not sure if it is passworded out? might be..
    but will scan and send it to you if you email me.

of i read more of your post and you tell me how to send it to you. but yeah, you can read for yoursefl; i could be off my rocker. butbetter have you the DBA look at it.
    tanx mate
    robert;D
    itdaddy:dry

15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

No offence mate - but I don't accept attachments on my regular mail account in case it gets rinsed, so I'll mail you with a temporary dump account I've got in gmail.

I'll take a look and see what i can see

Zeb

16. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

NO OFFENSE TAKEN
    SURE! MIGHT GET IT LATE TONIGHT
    VERY BUSY DUDE I AM

appreciate all you can do

itdaddy

17. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

18. and

and Bit Poster

:) beat me to it

Certifications: MCSE 2003
    WIP: MCSD
  19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - I wondered why you were sending me a KB article instead of pointing to it online...

OK - what they are saying here is that you can manage the DB using Enterprise Mangler - its just that M$ have always been twitchy about letting you do this with MSDE.

You will need to find SQL Server 2000 and install using the 'client tools only' option - as mentioned in one of my posts above. This will give you the tools you need to manage DBs, but won't actually install any of the DB platform itself.

That said - you should proceed with caution, as I've never done this before. You might actually be better off installing the client tools on another server somewhere and registering a new connection to the server which Veritas is installed on - that way you're not likely to fudge things up further.

Lemme know how you get on

20. itdaddy

itdaddy Byte Poster

TANKS BIG Z

WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS EITHER WAY
    ROBERT;D

:blink