SQL Course Providers

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jvanassen, Apr 19, 2013.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

I've had a little search through the forums before posting this as i thought course providers would be a hot topic and there's probably some old posts, couldn't find much of interest though.

I mentioned in my appraisal at work that an area i thought we were lacking on the help desk was SQL knowledge and when ever there was a SQL related query or problem we always had to turn to the companys one developer who is a busy guy. It seems like my comment hasn't fallen on deaf ears and ive been told that i should get a few quotes from a couple of different training providers and it would get signed off (il believe it when i see it tbh)

Can anyone recommend a good course provider through there own experience? or even better has anyone been on a SQL course? I'm based around the London area.

I only really know the basics of SQL and in an ideal world i would like to go on a course where i can perhaps take an exam and get a certification at the end of it however i do know that in theory this could be tricky as the Microsoft certs often recommend 2 years experience working with the product.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I haven't looked, but it sounds like something that Global Knowledge would probably do! They do lots of those types of courses, although not sure if it will be certification based.

To be honest as you say you probably need experience, but if you get some fundamentals and start taking on a few SQL calls and building experience, no reason you can do an exam later on, may even be an opportunity to move towards the developer to take some of his stuff so not so busy, could be a good opportunity if it's what you fancy doing!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. jvanassen

Yeah agreed I'll take a look at Global Knowledge but is there anyone that's been on any courses in the last year and can recommend a good provider?

Would preferably like to go with one that someone can give some good recommendations on

4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I've been on AIX courses with Global Knowledge, which is what made me mention them, was AIX admin courses and intro to very basic shell scripting. Again not cert based but I found them quite good, well structured and well led.

One thing I really liked, was that we all had to state out flavour of Unix etc before attending, and we all had remote sessions on that same flavour, so whilst he told us commands for AIX, he also told command for Solaris and such as there were guys on the course who worked with that and so forth.

This was a couple of years ago and obviously a different subject, but Global Knowledge seem fairly well used and respected, not the cheapest by any stretch but seemingly quite decent!

I sound a bit like I work for them there but I promise I don't! Lol. Just hope it helps! :-)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. jvanassen

Thanks I've emailed a couple of course providers, global knowledge is one of them. Just explaining my current situation and asking for there recommendation on what sort of course they have to offer.