SQL Books - DB2/Oracle/SQL Server

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by dsmith1983, Jun 4, 2009.

1. dsmith1983

dsmith1983 New Member

Can anyone please recommend books that cover basic SQL accross DB2/Oracle and SQL Server?

This would be really useful as we use all of the above at work

Cheers,
    Dave

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Bumpidy bump :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

There is no such thing as truely generic SQL. There are numerous important differences between the databases you describe and their SQL syntaxes.

You will be able to write portable queries for a subset of your work if you work at it, but not everything. You will certainly not be able to use generic SQL-DML/DDL if you want to create the most optimal solutions as these may involve vendor specific extensions.

O'Reilly and SAMS provide some SQL neutral books.

I'd reccomend a vendor specific book for each DB you will be using. Maybe supplement this with a SQL 101 book if you think it will help.

Books tend to be a personal thing so maybe go to a good bookstore (Foyles?) and pick a few that you think will suit you.

MS SQL comes with BooksOnline which is OK. w3cschools is ok too.

Failing that read the reviews on amazon.com and put in a bulk order and hope for the best.

Thats probably the best I can say, I don't really read many SQL books. The few I have read I don't really rate highly and I had SQL tuition before I read them... :D

4. rojertwose

rojertwose New Member

You can find ebooks regarding Oracle 10g, 11g, PL/SQL, SQL Server 2005 and MySQL. These books teaches you to install, create and share SQL Server 2005 reports, SQL server rendering, SQL Server reporting, Deploy and maintain report models, SQL Server report servicing and Etc so download following lings..
    1. Professional SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services
    2. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services Step by Step
    3. MySQL Language Reference
    4. MySQL Cookbook
    5. OCA: Oracle 10g Administration I Study Guide (1Z0-042)
    6. Oracle PL/SQL Best Practices
    7. Oracle Database 11g: New Features for DBAs and Developers
    8. OCP Oracle Database 10g: New Features for Administrators Exam Guide
    Thanks..

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I bought a book a while ago titled SQL programming and it was well laid out and easy to get to grips with. I'd check it out. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell