Spyware??

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zxspectrum, Oct 18, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So, my computer is secure??? and i run c cleaner nearly every week or when it gets slow etc. One thing ive noticed, is that it seems to be getting slow, and need cleaning more often. Virus scan ppicks nothing up, and im not dowloading dodgy gear etc.

So im baffled, my last clean, was 798 mb, but i cleaned it 3 days ago and ive not really been on it .

So do people think i have spyware on here??
    Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Zxspectrum,

Have you tried running a Malwarebytes or Spybot scan to see if it picks up anything?

Thanks
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Could be more than spyware, if it happens regularly.

how old is your system/hardware, when was your last OS install?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

My systems about 2 yrs old and i did a full reformat about 6 months back. Ive got amd quad core, 2.8 gig processor and 4 gig ram, so i wasnt noticing it all the time, just when i was typing etc, thats when i noticed it mainly because sometimes i can type ratther fast, or so i think anyway.

Anyhow, there was a problem, which was picked up by malware bytes, but not by spybot, so thanks for the tip on that. Im due for a reformat soon, and i may get rid of mcaffee and change it for Microsft security essientials, as i know mcaffee can slow the system down.

Apexes, what was you thinking that it could be, im taking it you were thinking of something more serious??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Yeh also install MSSE (instread of Mcafee if its a big overhead) and setup a non admin account for day to day browsing, and you can 'Run-as' etc. to install software. The long list of security patches slows the system down over time too

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646