Spotify

Discussion in 'Software' started by zebulebu, Jun 17, 2010.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Can anyone tell me why they like this? Am I missing something - or is it just internet radio? In which case, why not just listen to your own music collection - the exact songs you want - without having to ponce about installing something?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...Not totally sure but apparently it does a very good job in detracting from some forms of piracy - esp on peer-to-peer sites (as songs aren't being copied for free stopping artists from getting pay based on tracks sold...or something like that) so to me it's all good!

I think the main attraction was that it is free (if you are okay to listen to adverts in-between tracks) and you can search for and listen to a huge variety of music tracks that you may not other-wise be able to without paying (you just can't download and keep it)...

I'm with you though. Would rather pay for my music and download a personal copy.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

It's ideal for work for me when I need to shut out everyone else's nonsense when I'm concentrating on something. I listen to my iPod on the way too and from work, so sometimes I can get a bit bored with whats on it. It's great for either listening to different stuff, or certainly for hearing new material (whole albums, like) before buying.

Well, it was ideal until the firewall settings were changed and I can't access it any more...

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  4. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

I use the free version which has adverts inbetween songs, timing of adverts are random, sometimes you can go 7 songs without one, or you may get 1 after each song for a short period of time.

The main attraction for me is that you get loads of music for free, search for an album, add it to spotify and thats about it. As long as you got an internet connection you got the music. They have recently integrated it into facebook, so you can now view and listen to facebook friends playlists. It has a radio function but I have never used it.

If you subscribe to it (10 quid a month), there are no ads, you can save your playlist for offline listening, and can use on your mobile.

TBH its the best piece of software i've never bought.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  5. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Premium has some brilliant features including the ability to cache your music on a local system. Also gives you access to it as a mobile app with audio quality of 320kbps

not too shabby

A friend of mine persistently extols the virtues. I just prefer to haul my mp3's around on a clumsy massive old fashioned micro sd card in a phone

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I don't use spotify, but I do use last.fm (much the same thing without the ads) and that tends to throw music at me which I wouldn't normally listen to but fits my tastes therefore expanding the number of artists whose music I'll willingly buy.

Its thrown up some complete ****e as well though to be fair....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I like it and I'm considering getting the prem service once I get a device to support it :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think it's actualy very good.. for one thing i like the fact that it can pull up an absolute ton of different versions of songs i never knew existed. Also it is great for partys, as you can just about queue any song that a guest might request. the quality is good and the speed at which songs can be accessed is amazing, even over my slow aussie net connection.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)