speedtouch 546 alternatives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wassup, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

Hi
    I havent had much joy with speedtouch stuff in the past and was thinking of finding an alternative to the SpeedTouch 546 that is being offered by Zen (the UK ISP)

Can anyone be kind enough to come up with some recommended alternatives to it?

thanks all :biggrin

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What are you looking for mate? Do you need wireless, an in-built switch etc etc. Also whats your budget?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

cheers for your reply
    Got a new BT line put in, which will support up to 30 computers on an 8mb line, and this new router/modem will run to three hubs providing 3 subnets. There are a few 10/100 D-Link hubs to be used, so yes to the switch.
    A second nic on the server w2k3 will supply a seperate wireless network on a 2nd IP , as it is my intention to let the wireless play unrestricted outside the domain.
    Budget wise, the 546 is about £50 so not much more than that really.

4. Sparky

Is this for home use? Im confused why you can only support 30 computers, if you have NAT configured then you could push a full class C LAN subnet through it if you wanted, obviously performance issues would be a problem :biggrin

Why three subnets? I take it this is for testing and locking traffic down on a particular subnet?

If that is your intention you might want to go for a device that supports a DMZ\OPT port, you can patch a WAP into that and that will be your unrestricted internet access. Firewall rules would restrict traffic from the DMZ to the LAN subnet.

The LAN port from the router could patch into your server and you can use the other NIC for another subnet if needed. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

its at work and we have about 30 computers :)

3 different areas i want to keep separate, ie language students, teachers and university students so locking stuff down , yes :twisted:

Well the new line has 8 static IPs with it so I figured may as well give them a different IP , simply because I can ...

could do ... as expansion is a possibility with a new admin network in the distant future

thanks for your help so can you recommend any models based on the info?
    (ps have some rep for the help :D )

6. Sparky

For £50 I’m struggling to come up with an option to be honest. You could go for a Netgear 834G router http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/DG834G.aspx which is basic but coupled with a Windows 2003 server you can configure routing for the subnets.

If you want to lock down subnets you would really want a device that supports VLANs and then you can create rules that can lock down subnet A from accessing subnet B but this kit costs big £££.

What Windows infrastructure do you have? Might be a better option to have two subnets, one for the LAN and one for wireless and then lock down the network with group policy etc.

An ISA server is another option, you can patch in the ADSL router into one of the NICs and make that the WAN port and have a DMZ nic and LAN nic. It will give a lot of functionality.

7. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

Windows-wise it is a standard 2003 server running AD on a single domain with xp professional workstations.

I did think about an ISA option (with SBS 2003) but as an educational facility we get huge discounts on the standard server so it is looking like Group Policy is the way to head then for restricting access to shares and resources and other subnets(?)

In all honesty I thought about the netgear range too, I have that one you linked to at home , so £50 maybe is a bit cheap for business .. does it make a difference if it goes up to £200?

8. Sparky

I think the biggest issue is the amount of subnets you want. Do you *really* need three subnets for 30 odd PCs? You are increasing the complexity of the network which can increase costs.

Perhaps go for one LAN subnet and put your wireless network in a DMZ and that should be ok. Group policy and security groups can secure your resources, job done! :biggrin

9. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

mmm yeh, fair point about the subnets.

Well, hopefully we should be getting the new server and workstations next week so we'll see how it goes.

Your suggestions have been invaluable and now I'm off to go and have a ponder .. thnx sparky

:)

10. Sparky

No problem, best of luck with the install :thumbleft