specific exams/tests

Discussion in 'A+' started by christopherroper, Aug 16, 2009.

1. christopherroper

christopherroper New Member

hi all

i have read through the A+ book aka mike meyers, and watched the cbt nuggets videos and fell that i have a good knowledge but after exausting the total seminars and transcender cd tests i was wondering if any of you guys have came across software or online tests that do exams on a specific section ie hard drives or cpu's etc

so then i can really get a a good knowledge base as i dont want to be just good enough to pass the exams i feel that having more than an expected knowledge helps when continuing the learning curve as i am enrolled on a mcse.

looking forward to your replys

chris

WIP: comptia a+
  2. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Great attitude. Hands on experience FTW, get as much exposure to systems and users as you can, and learn to troubleshoot. Theres always a situation that will come up that you won't have covered - Use a combination of your knowledge, internet searches and gut feeling, and document your resolution.

Best of luck

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  3. christopherroper

christopherroper New Member

thanks maria

i have about 5 years hands on experience but to be honest when i began doing this course i was shocked on how detailed a pc really is i guess i looked at it as lego lol and didnt document on the problems i solved hence now i do find it really hard to memorise cpu's and all the extra details about hard drive ( fat 16 fat 32 ntfs and there features) have u done the exam if so how detailed and deep did it go into certain areas

WIP: comptia a+
  4. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

I've not done the exam myself, but I've had a couple of colleagues go through it. One done it a while back, and the amount he memorised was astounding; how many pins on a particular processor, max. length of a VGA cable, etc. What helped him the most though was being a through and through hardware guy. His work based experience, with machines of all ages, and also the home jobs he used to do - especially a lot of taking two old knackered computers and making one decent family PC out of it.

The other guy is taking his exams today, and his knowledge seems to be focused on more cutting edge hardware. That said, he's studied hard, and he should be fine.

If you've worked your way through the study materials, and can honestly tick off each of the exam objectives, you should be fine.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

www.proprofs.com has a number of exams on it and it is a free and legit site to use.

Some of their exams just focus on hardware and some focus on the software side. To access all of their exams you must register with them and do a couple of posts on their forum, it is free to join.

One of our members here (BotherBill) has written their essentials practice exam and I highly rate it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?