spam email

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by shambles, Jul 27, 2007.

1. shambles

shambles Guest

I just got this email...

I've messed up the hex part of the address - I assume you won't want this sort of link here...

This is the sort of stuff that catches people out. It looks more-or less exactly like a genuine email I got some time ago from a friend... And to the less-than-careful user, it looks legit. I have no idea what is on the other end of the link, and have no desire to find out...

But here's the question: What would be the best advice to give someone to stop them falling for this..?

Just noticed a thread further down the page about this - Sorry!

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeps. Greeting Card spam - I've already mentioned this before. It's part of the storm trojan - a blended threat attack that began to hit early on this year and was ramped up considerably around the 4th July (to coincide with the independence day holiday in the US)

Here's the thread

God knows why you got this through though - as I said in the original post, there are lots of variants of the spam but all of them have three or four phrases in common, which makes them trivial to block by any spam filter worth its salt. In fact, the 'Awesome Card' line that I blocked months ago is still present in the spam you've received, so I can only assume your ISP's spam filters are shite!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. shambles

shambles Guest

'Virgin' are the guilty party here... I guess I can cover it by putting my own 'awesome card' rule into Thunderbird, but I imagine if I have got this, then many other people will shortly be having their antivirus tested...

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - I've got a Virign (well, Telewest anyway) account and I've noticed a marked increase in spam since they took it over. Coincidentally, I've also noticed a marked drop in service quality, bandwidth capping been implemented and the free support number being dropped.

...Time to look for a new ISP methinks

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. shambles

shambles Guest

I've done a bit more digging around. It looks like virgin stripped the nasty attachment out of the email before sending it on to me, so they have probably done OK...

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There may not have been one. Many of these spam emails rely on you going to the site in question, which is engineered to compromise your machine.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. shambles

shambles Guest

Absolutely right, my mistake - earlier version. This one has been going for quite a while, hasn't it?