Space Shuttle booster rocket camera

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Jul 16, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is a cool piece of film. It's about 12 minutes long so if you have dial up it's going to be a long download, and may possibly not even run. However, it's something you don't see every day. It's a shot from a camera mounted on one of the space shuttle's booster rockets. It starts just before lift off and ends with the booster rocket floating in the ocean after separating from the shuttle, freefalling for a while, and then riding a parachute down the remainder of the trip into the ocean.

The last 1/3 of the clip is just shows the the rocket gently floating on the water which is pretty boring, but overall this is an interesting bit of film.

http://mfile.akamai.com/18566/wmv/e...a-global/sts-121/right_forward_srb_camera.asx

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. ffreeloader

For those who are interested the following link is where I found the original video I posted here. The entire thread from dslreports.com is pretty interesting as there are multiple videos and a lot of interesting trivia about the moon and shuttle missions.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16465588

3. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Not working for me :(
    Media player won't play it.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That is very cool.
    When you see it on the TV, it looks as if the shuttle takes off vertically. But on that clip, the horizon seems quite low implying that it takes off at an angle, like a plane.

The shuttle is an awesome achievement and it makes you think about the future...

Here's a question.
    Should mankind be trying to save the planet? Should we be cancelling world debt and ploughing research into renewable energy?
    Or, is the Earth doomed? Has it got to the point where it is getting too small? Are we like alcoholics who know that we should be giving up, but just keep buying stronger booze?
    We know that fuel emissions are bad, but that doesn't stop people buying bigger or faster cars.

Should we be spending our resources instead at looking 'out there' and developing technologies to see mankind onward when our planet falls apart?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. ffreeloader

It's a .asx file, and they normally point to .wmv files, so you should be able to play it. However, take a look here for troubleshooting information.

6. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Cheers Freddy - figured it out.
    My firewall was blocking media player!

EDIT: Watched it now. That's very, very cool. 8)

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  7. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

man this was amazing!!

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3