SP2 RC2

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by noelg24, Jun 21, 2004.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I was reading about SP2 RC2 HERE and I was just wondering does anyone have any actual indication as to when this is officially released for us to download and use? Also does anyone have any doubts about it? Have any of you guys tested yourselves even? I would like to know thanks.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

got a copy of (i think RC1, but could of been RC2) at Infosec 2004 a month or so ago, runs fine and i've had no probs with it, bar having to re disable all the security features it decides to turn on by default (clever for most users though)

if its already RC2, final wont be long now, within the month i assume depends what crops up during final testing phases

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well the question is will we still any problems to deal with once we get the final version? its just I want to be sure about this for when I can recommend to my customers and friends about whether to download it or not. especially those who have no idea what Windows Update really is or does!!! But I guess the best way to deal with that would be to download it myself and give it a bash so I'll wait for the final release.

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i would advise immediate deployment of something as major as a service pack to any customer, the only people who need to worry are enterprises who may have to re write certain custom web code because of the edited web zones in IE
    this will not effect home users
    sp2 turns on the firewall by default, and other such security features, id say its a pretty big requirement on modern home users machines, ammount of c*ap they have on thier machines
    its not like home users can 'test' a service pack per se, and its hardly likely you will run into the same problems they end up running into with it
    just make sure they install it! lol, lets make the net a safer place :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

will the Net ever be a safer place? I wonder.... :roll: :eek:

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

lol - Just thinking back to our recent Mike Meyers interview ...

Just shows you what a prime target such a ubiquitous OS is for attack :(

I'd be tempted to run with the SP2, as Phoenix says, then deal with any issues as they arise later.

IMHO :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity