Sound Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, May 4, 2006.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi guys, We have a strange problem with sound through headphone using digital dictation devices. The sound is pretty low even with the volume turned all the way up and sometimes it cuts out. The drivers are the latest ones and all the settings are fine. Could it be a setting in the user profiles as we use roaming profiles and I've switched the PC around and it's still the same.

Cheers in Advance

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Is it a laptop? If so check to make sure that the physical dial thingy is turned up, as I've seen this a few times. If it's not a laptop then I havent a clue! :rolleyes:

3. michael78

Simon, they are normal desktop PC's. This one has really stumped me if I'm honest. The only thing I can think of is that there is settings in the user profile that are effecting the sound levels.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Does it work ok when loged in as Administrator, or another user?

5. michael78

You know what I haven't tried that...:oops: I'll give it ago and see...:D

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If it does then you may be right about it being profile related, but how? Does a profile carry any sound settings with it? The Application data folder would be where I'd go looking next, try deleting that folder and seeing what happens.

:blink

7. michael78

Cheers Simon, I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Michael

8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Michael,

Are you sure the headphones are connected to the "headphone" jack and not the "line out" jack? Since you also mention "...digital...", is it possible the sound card outputs an analog audio signal and not a digital audio signal?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA