sound....but no sound?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moominboy, Jan 16, 2008.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

long story short, i managed to get a year old advent laptop for 30 bucks because apparently it was busted.

dvd drive and no sound i was told so i thought it'd be a nice bargain job.

anyway, after some digging i managed to repair the dvd registry bit that was damaged but the sound has still got me stumped.

device manager lists the onboard sound (realtek) and in dxdiag i can get it to play the test tune fine, but in "sounds,and audio device properties" there is no device at all, and even in the sound scheme section the play button isn't there.

tried uninstalling and updating the drivers but to no avail so..... who better to put it to than you lot of geniuses?! (geniusi? hmmm.) :wink:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?&mpver=11.0.5721.5230&id=C00D11BA&contextid=68&originalid=80040256
    ps, its running xp home and the error message i get from WMP is C00D11BA.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Version of Windows? Original install? (I suspect unlikely :biggrin )

Assuming this is a generic install - rather than the specific one for this unit - then I'd suggest that the chipset drivers are missing. Get them from Advent.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Are the mobo drivers installed?

Edit: sorry Harry just saw your post

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Good luck getting any drivers from Advent - they don't provide them to anybody for love nor money. The only thing you can do if the restore partition has been vaped is to ring them and ask for a restore CD - they will charge you 30 quid for it.

I suspect that, like me, the original owner has bought it from PC World dirt cheap (you used to be able to get amazing spec Advent lappies for peanuts there) What you can do is go to this site which is dedicated to people in similar predicament to yourself. There are instructions there on how to find your 'true' model number (not the useless Advent model code) that will allow you to navigate to the German or Australian manufacturers of the laptop and download the correct drivers from there. The chipset driver is usually dead small, and one of the easiest to obtain.

I had to go throguh this process when I (stupidly) upgraded my Advent lappy to Vista - worked a charm!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. moominboy

exactly that zebulebu! lol! wouldn't call this one amazing spec though so maybe it was a fre gift with a dongle?

anyway, lo and behold, i only have an advent number on the back (7081) which i couldn't find answers for, only questions.

so im going to have to try some generic drivers that i found and hope they work. just puzzling why the dxdiag can play the test tune but nothing else will play?

any ideas folks?

6. greenbrucelee

I think it only plays the sound when it knows all of the connections are correct, but it wont play sound at any other time due to the drivers not being present.

7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

You could try downloading something like sisoft sandra, that will tell you the mobo make and model number, then do a search for the drivers for that mobo.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Moomin

There are hundreds of posts about the 7081 on that forum. I know this as I, myself, used to have the same model (before the inverter board went) and have used that forum in the past to download drivers for it. Search on the forum for '7081' - you may have to register (its free) - I'm sure you'll find links to the Australian or German site that have drivers. The forum has a guide which shows you how to find the real model number for your laptop - see this post for the direct link to that topic.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Feck me! Moominboy's back.

Welcome back Dave. :biggrin

11. moominboy

sorry zeb, obviously i didnt look hard enough. think it might've been a wee bit early for ma brain to function!

anyway, found both the mobo drivers and the realtek drivers and ran every .exe i could to try and cover my bases.

re-started, re-installed, re-started, uninst then reinst etc, etc, etc.

still nowt though. would anyone know if there might be a registry corruption causing it as that was the main prob with the dvd drive.

12. greenbrucelee

this may sound a silly question but are all the connections fitted properly on the DVD drive etc.

13. moominboy

seems to be, i mean i have had the lappie stripped down of the "easy" bits. ie, without actually taking off the cover but all the quick release bits.

as well as playing music in dxdiag, it also plays in soundman. but still just error messages in wmp and realplayer.

im 99% sure it is just a driver issue but either something is stopping them running properly or installing properly.

hmmm. might try a full virus/ *ware scan again just to be sure.

14. greenbrucelee

sounds like a good idea, have you had any other apps open when installing the drivers? sometimes this can cause a problem also if you have a partiall installation of a driver uninstall it and start from scratch.

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

At the run box type sfc /scannow which can resolve some weird problems!

Also run Windows update and see if there is anything listed for your hardware.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. moominboy

just an update folks,

for the life of me i couldnt get the drivers to install correctly so bit the bullet and had to go through the recovery options.

thanks for all the help anyway guys, much appreciated. :tongue: