Sony Vaio recovery failure

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stoney, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

So I was merrily recovering a Sony vaio using the recovery DVD's I created, and about 10% into the system recovery process, the recovery utility flags up that there's been an error and promptly reboots the pc!

By rebooting the pc and exiting the recovery process, the recovery utility has deleted the primary partition and left me with no operating system!

I'm just running an XP disc now and it looks like the recovery partition is still in tact, but the recovery discs are not loading the recovery utility.

So i have a pc with no o/s! I could install a different version of xp on here (I only have an MSDN one at the mo) but seeing as the company paid for a licensed version of xp from Sony, I don't see why we should have to waste another license on this laptop. :x

Does anyone have an idea as to how I might get the recovery utility working again?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I have also been down this road and the only way round it was to order the recover disk or download the drivers from the Sony website.

many Sony Vaio computers use a hidden recovery partition on the HD, and from here you would make a recovery disc, but as you stated the Recovery disc are FUBAR!

Then you can either order from sony or Ebay8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Thanks UCM.

I don't know if it's these DVD's i'm using or if the DVD Rom has started to die, although it reads the XP disc i'm using ok, so probably the DVD's.

Luckily, one of our staff has the exact same model as this one that has died, so i'm in the process of making some more recovery discs to see if I can get the utility running again, but I'm not holding my breath!

I chose to make CDR's this time, all 11 of them!! And I can't make the 1st CD first! Oh no, I have to start with Application recovery disc 4/4, then work backwards to system recovery disc 1/7.

I do not like Sony at the moment. :x

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm not sure if this applies to all Vaio's but you don't have to make the recovery disks in order to recover the boot partition or whole drive.

I think you can press either F12, or F8 on the BIOS screen (you could on the AR11 I was just re-installing) and it will launch the recovery utility, then you get all the options to recover the various partitions or the whole disk etc...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada