sony ebook reader touch and IT trianing books

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rockstar6181, Nov 8, 2009.

1. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

Thinking of getting the Sony E book reader Touch (6" screen).

Just wondering if anyone had used the Sony reader or any other with computer manuals/books etc - just a bit concerned how the page would fit as PC books are quite a bit larger than a novel page size and also contain pictures...would you have to scroll left and right to a signle page or would it shrink it into the 6" screen and make it unreadable?

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  2. lizaoreo

lizaoreo New Member

Did you ever buy this and try it out with the books?

I've been contemplating on and off about getting one to read my school books and IT books on. I got to WGU in the US and a lot of my material is in PDF or other ebook formats. I'm particularly interested in using this with some of the material PrepLogic has like their MegaGuides as I signed up earlier this month for a month of unlimited for only $99 and am trying to decide whether to keep paying after the month is up.

Thanks,
    Michael

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCTS (70-680), CIW Assoc.
    WIP: MCITP (70-640, 70-642, 70-646), Security+, Project+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Most ebook readers are pretty shoddy at PDFs that have anything other than text in them, ie, text books and IT books, unless the book itself was specifically designed for the reader

i can for instance, run a conversion on my PDFs and put them into ePUB format for my iPAD, but I'm better off just reading the native PDF in GoodReader or something, much easier
    I tried out a kindle and nook, i do love the clarity of them, but being i spent most of the last 10 years reading manuals on PCs, and not on paper, looking at a PDF on the iPad doesn't seem half as uncomfortable as what everyone in the kindle camp makes out (the auto brightness on my ipad seems a bit iffy, it would be way duller in a dark room, so i have to adjust it manually sometimes)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I purchased one as I needed to free up some space that all my books were hogging, I also planned on taking it on holiday.

At first I was quite pleased with it, after a while though its lack of ability to scale pdf's properly began to annoy me and I now no longer use it unless off on a trip somewhere.

The clarity of the text is fine, very easy on the eye.

The main problem comes when the text is referring to a diagram, which is going to be alot in an I.T reference manual. Generally due to the screen size you need to zoom in quite a bit to see whats going on. Of course on doing so you can now see the diagram but can't read the accompanying text. That wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so slow to respond. Another major annoyance seemed to be its complete inability to properly display tables of information.

I actually find it easier on the move now to read my manuals on my HTC.

Apart from that it was ok. If purchasing one make sure it comes with some form of A.C power charger. Mine only came with a U.S.B charger or purchase a U.S.B to A.C adapter.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

As above really, i've got a pocket reader, great for just text in bulk, any formatting/tables/diagrams you've had it I'm afraid. I thought I could use one instead of carrying books with me to work every day, however due to the above mentioned issues I've reverted back to the books and use the reader as a store for all those vendor whitepapers that I tend to collect.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. Dave_unemployed

Dave_unemployed Nibble Poster

i too thought of getting one for travelling and read at the same time but now im considering a small netbook which cost £100 more that has 250GB HD space and comes with windows xp. Bigger than sony ebook reader but worth spending the extra for something that i can take with me.

So if you travel a lot maybe a mini netbook is your answer

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP and MCDST
    WIP: 70-680