Sometimes bad news isn't all that bad....

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mattwest, Nov 8, 2006.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey guys.

I recieved a call from our training provider yesterday to say that the 3 day CompTIA Security+ course i was due to go one in two weeks has been cancelled. Obviously i was bummed because training keeps me going and gives me something to work towards.

However - he then proceeded to give me a discount towards the 5 day Certified Ethical Hacker course they offer. So i spoke to the boss who said he was prepared to pay the extra and it looks like i'm now going to get to go on that course which covers most of the Security+ and more.

Result!

I also happened to mention that next year i would like to do Prince2 for project management and he happened to say that there was money that needed to be spent by April from the budget so he was happy for me to book that now.

Certified Ethical Hacker AND Prince 2 between Jan and April next year?

Matt is a happy boy :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Ah thats pretty cool, I want to do the CEH exam when I've got through my MCSE. Good Luck to you! By the way how did you manage to obtain all them qualifications at your age?

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Probably through hard work mate. :biggrin

By the way congrats Matt, I think! :rolleyes:

4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Yeah it's gonna be tough but well worth the effort.

As to answer your question i like to make sure i always have something on the go. Sometimes i have productive weeks other times i do no work what-so-ever but i always have something to work towards.

I started my career in 1999 and gained my first cert in 2001 and it went from there:

2001: Network+

2002: A+, Server+ and CCNA

2002/2003 - MCSA 2000

2003: CIW certs and Linux+

2004: Project+

2005: MCP Exchange 2003, upgrade of MCSA 2000 to MCSA 2003

2006: 3 exams for MCSE 2003, also CCA, ITIL and hopefully on Friday CCDA.

Next year? Well Certified Ethical Hacker, Prince 2 and maybe make a start on CCNP, who knows?

Now i know some will say whats the point in a cert for this or a cert for that, expecially if i dont use all the skills all day but my theory is that anyone can read a book on A+ and learn something, but when you have to take an exam you have to "learn" and study and practice and do questions which all re-enforces the knowledge.

Also i'll admit at the moment i have a really good boss who is happy to fund 4 courses a year. Not to mention my recent move to a course provider that includes the exam at the end which makes certification (after the course at least) less stressful.

I've also done college courses in team leading and spanish and i'm looking at a certificate in business finance next year.

It's all about setting yourself apart and having IT AND Business skills.

Just my opinon! :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good for you Matt, keep up the hard work. It shows that hard work pays no matter what the cuircumstances are.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA