something introductory

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by layabout, Feb 1, 2005.

1. layabout

layabout New Member

Hello everyone !

I'm quite pleased to have found this site, especially since I was looking for some independent opinions of Computeach.
    (Their salesman came to pitch at me yesterday :dry )
    I have had a good read of your forums.

I have spent 5 years doing the whole first line support helpdesk thing (yes my sanity was tested :blink !) but am now interested in becoming an IT field service engineer.

Are there any posters on these forums that do this role already and if so, what do you think of it, likes/dislikes ?

I have no IT qualifications, just plenty of experience around the first line/helpdesks environment.

I have read other comments on this forum and the concensus seems to be that A+ is the most appropriate starting place for anyone trying to get into tech. support.
    Is there something I could do before committing to A+ (something introductory) that might give me a taster and help me decide whether I want to go further?

The Computeach salesman tried to interest me in taking what he referred to as the "senior networking route" involving A+ and then MCSA/MCSE.
    Is it really necessary to do an MCSE to become a Field Service Engineer? I know some people that moved into it simply because they were in the proverbial right-place-at-the-right-time and were no more qualified than me.

Any advice willingly digested.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, layabout. Welcome to CF. By "Field Service Engineer", I assume you mean a roving troubleshooter that provides support for desktop hardware and software. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've done that both for a city IT Department and for a wireless provider, going into homes and (for the most part) cleaning off spyware put on people's boxes by teenagers. For the city IT dept, I did pretty much whatever needed...from adding ram to diagnosing printer problems to backing up servers...you name it.

How did I like it? Let's just say, I learned alot. In both jobs, I was the arms and legs for other higher end techs and admins who didn't have the time to do those sorts of tasks. They were enjoyable times, but I did manage to try and pull my hair out on more than a few occasions when encountering a problem that defied solution.

As far as quals, I don't see that an MCSE is necessary. In that particular role, I did nothing that had a direct baring on setting up or maintaining a domain. Occasionally, they'd ask me to reset a user's password or some such, but most of my time was spent dealing with the hardware or application software on someone's misbehaving PC.

Some companies seem to ask for MCSE quals, even for very low level jobs that don't pay very well. In my opinion, that's like asking for a big game hunter to come into your home and swat a fly...it's overkill. The only way it might be an advantage is if you took the job to get your foot in the door,and then planned to advance to a position requiring an MCSE.

In your shoes, it is advisable to do the A+ first and score the type of job you are talking about and then continue your studies to the MCSE or whatever goals you have in mind.

I hope some of my ramblings have been helpful. Again, welcome to the boards.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi layabout and welcome to the forum.

The A+ is generally considered to be the introduction to certification as it covers a bit of everything. You need some experience with windows 95, 98, NT, 2000 and XP, you need to learn something about networking and also the hardware side of things too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi and welcome from me too, Layabout - enjoy the Forums :D

Only thing I'd add to the Guys' comments above would be try and get a hold of (if you don't already have) an older or spare PC to "play with" ie open up/break/fix to really get some hands-on experience before and during the A+. Also, if you can get your hands on some different versions of Windows, get installing/ uninstalling break/fix-ing with them too.

If you don't have the bug by that stage, then that line ain't for you - but don't worry, by the time you've only half a head of hair left, you will be hooked...

Just my 2€ - HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome from me too. Can't add anything else m8. Glad you've joined us :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

A big welcome from me too mate! [​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to the Forums, good to see you here.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...