Someone Needing A Little Advice =\?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Special Brew, Nov 22, 2010.

1. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Did you work on a helpdesk for the voluntary work? or was it more hands-on? How many users? just curious :)

2. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

I also took a look, applied for the course ( knowing it's for 16 - 18 year olds ) they contacted me, asked me to attend a introduction day, to see if it a course i would like to do, also, it starts in february, but in january theey get government funding.. they apply for extra funding for upto 24 year olds, but once funds are gone, it's gone. first come first serve i suppose.
    i go on 7th to see if i'm interested. find out in January if i can get funded. she said she beleives there will be no problem, but to be safe, she said january is when they find out.

I will do the course if i'm still unemployed as £100 pw is better than JSA of £200 a month!!

My goal is get a job before then, but again it's a back up for me.

I've also took GreenBruceLee's advice and wrote a letter to a possible employer stating i'm trying to get my first IT job, and if they would train me up or if they had trainee positions available..

Anyways, it's ready to go ( though you all prob thiink it a crap letter, i'm not so good a letters etc..)
    It's better than nothing.

Thank you all for your replies, Definitely helped me out!!

If i get interviews etc, i'll let everyone know VIA a new topic.

Thanks again,

Special Brew!!

3. zet

zet Byte Poster

24? Really? Nice. I've signed up too :)

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  4. Special Brew

I'll look on the Charity Sector thanks mate =]
    Hopefully soon i'll make my break.
    I know it's gonna be hard, but that doesn't bother me.
    I know i need to learn more, and everyday! again that doesn't bother me, i love learning new things!

Cert Forums has been my only line of support.

Some nice replies, some not so nice, all help though.

So many different experiences, pasts, jobs, interests makes advice much more interesting, and useful in fact!.

I've listened to all of your ideas, i will act on it now =]

**** Though, is it normal for alot of IT jobs to seem scary ? lol... Some software they ask for experience within sounds complicated =\?
    ITIL? ..How can i learn this? Can i just learn by researching via google, Being on JSA and like someone said, their getting hard on us now, for not finding a job in this mass unemployment and little job range???

thanks Again guys,

Special Brew!!

5. Special Brew

haha, Goodluck mate =]

6. zet

zet Byte Poster

The ITIL stuff is easy-sih, you can learn the theory by googling. They're just best practices forr when working in an IT department.

7. Special Brew

Oh okay, thanks mate. Sad maybe, but not really heard of it since i've never had it job, and self taught myself everything i know.

I will google it, cheers =]

**Google is my bestfriend**
    LOL

Special Brew!

8. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Good luck, its so hard getting your foot in the door but once done the world is yours, well in theory. Make sure you network well as you make your way up and never burn bridges.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  9. Special Brew

Thank you for your support.

It is very hard to get that first foot in the door.
    No interviews, not even replies..
    Even sending letters to companies asking if they have trainee positions available etc.

I just don't know what to do? I've asked the job center for help, but they told me to forget about IT, i have no experience and wont get a job within IT..

Urgh =\?

What can i do? With no money to improve my chances???

thanks again,

Special Brew!!

10. zet

zet Byte Poster

Sorry to hear that mate. You really are competing against thoses with degrees and those with experience for entry level jobs. I'm getting virtually no response from entry level IT jobs but having more luck with programming/software based roles...tough market.

11. Special Brew

Yeah i know, and it seems like it just aint gonna work to be honest.
    I know i'm studying A BSc (hons) Degree in ICT, But it's worth nothing until i've got it.

I have actually applied for a few *customer Service* roles, though it isn't IT, it should help get into a similar role within IT.
    sounds funny, but i can't even offer my services for free cus no1 is advertising, and i don't know where else to look.

I would apply for programming/software based roles but i wouldn't know where to start and to be honest, i know absolutely nothing about it =\?

thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

Special Brew!!

12. zet

zet Byte Poster

Ah, so you are a Uni student. That's good and it'll work to your advantage. Here is my advice, the market sucks right now especially for graduates...I can't imagine what it's like for undergraduates. What you can do to make your CV look good is the following:

- volunteer for stuff
    - join a society/club at your uni (this shows you are a socialable person) - get involved with the club (pick something that interests you and will look good on your CV)
    - If your degree offers a placement year, do it.
    - get a part-time job..try to stick with it for the remainder of your degree (a customer facing role will look good on your CV)
    - study hard and aim for a 2.1

13. Special Brew

Well, i'm a part time student at the open university. So, not that amazing..
    It is really hard =\!!

You have good ideas, though some are for people who attend a university, mine is all from home.
    *Study hard and aim for a 2.1* - what does that mean lol =]?

thanks for your helpful replied =]

Special Brew!!!

14. Special Brew

*** i meant finding a job is hard, not the university work lol ***

15. zet

zet Byte Poster

Well, you can still volunteer in your local community/charity stuff and get a part-time job. Every employer/agency that I have spoken to has asked me about my part-time job because it was a customer facing role. Also, the only reason I'm getting phonecalls is because of my degree qualification so don't feel bad or like 'its a waste of time'. Perhaps you should consider enrolling into a university.

If you dont want to do any of the above look into working as a web-developer or programmer...all you need is a really good portfolio and you'll land your first job no problems, and you can self-study at home.

16. Special Brew

I am currently looking for all work, full time, part time, permanent, temporary. Just doesn't seem to be anything out there.

I would do web development, or programming, but i just don't know anything about it ??? I'd feel awkward applying for that type of job and they ask me what i know, and all i can say is nothing!

I've seen jobs advertise for that but seems to be like £20k - 80K Which is not obtainable for me.

Thank you for your replies, Always appreciated.

Special Brew!!

17. zet

zet Byte Poster

Hmm, you're having trouble getting part-time work? I meant something along the lines of retail (clothing store etc) or perhaps working in a call centre. As for programming/web development...if you wanna consider getting into that then you have to self-study (google is your friend!). You can pick up most stuff just via google, for example if you want to get into web development start with HTML/CSS/Javascript ...then perhaps look at some database stuff like sql ...then php...by that time you'll be aware of all the technologies and how to use em and then baam, you can apply for jobs/build a portfolio.

I'm really in the same boat as you, getting into tech support is difficult - so I'm working on plan b (web developer/programmer) and gain as many 'marketable' skills as possible. I've got one phone interview for a sort-of programming position coming up, another face-to-face interview for 1st line tech support and another interview as a software analyst...and even if I dont get any of those positions I know i've got something to work towards.

If you want to get into tech support you could apply a similar approach and self-teach yourself all the techologies/platforms used in the work environment.

18. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

Don't wait for someone to advertise a voluntary role. Start emailing placing like charities or other non-profit organisations

Certifications: ITIL v3
    WIP: CCENT
  19. Special Brew

I have been applying for ''customer service roles'' etc, hope something comes out of that.

I have a meeting with Zenos tomorrow about an apprenticeship in february.. only gets A+ and a few bits n bobs, but it's better than JSA and something i'll enjoy doing.

I have sent letters to absolute random companies asking if they'll train me etc, had no replies =\?

I am applying for a much more range of jobs now instead of limiting myself to IT.. a step back may do some good.

Can i ask how you (if you are in IT) got into IT and what measurements you needed to take, also did you have certs etc ???

I mean i have none?

Thanks

Special Brew!!

20. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Got into IT in 1995 with a Computer Science 2:1 degree, a HND with distinction, A-levels and GCSE's, took me 200+ applications even then. I had no certifications. I also had to commute to Alton / Farnborough / Winchester from Portsmouth to get work.

The job market is pretty bad right now for a lot of people I hear, we are still suffering from a bit of a slump after the financial meltdown. The governments also suffering from falling tax revenues, meaning the public sector can't generate as many jobs.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010