Somebody Help Me!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Black-Starr, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Black-Starr

Black-Starr New Member

Ok I need some advice here from people in the know.

I'm 28 years of age, have really got into PC's over the last couple of years and have recently decided I want to pursue a career in IT.

Foolishly I didnt really do enough reading into courses, but I decided I wanted to go into Networking, therefore I went straight into a Cisco CCNA course, which was very tough, but I managed to pass module one. I have since realised I need to start with a more basic qualification such as Comptia A+ which is what I am going to do from Feb (i dont have any skills with XP yet etc!)

My question is, how on earth do I get my foot in the door jobwise? I'm hearing so many contrasting opinions that I just dont know where to start. I have decided to pass my A+ first and then begin applying, but what should I be going for? A guy said to me the other day that my only possible route into IT is to start on a low paid helpdesk. Is this true? Would employers not employ junior supports with no experience even if they were A+ qualified? What should I do? Are there any other qualifications I should be going for?? Someone help! I have no idea where to start....

Jake

P.S Im based in the UK, if that makes a difference....(things maybe completely different in the US)

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Jake. The forum is based in the UK, so I think you'll get plenty of relevant advice. Sad to say but things here in the US are no different. The A+ is no promise of a high-paying entry-level job (entry-level jobs by definition are "low pay").

Jobs you'll likely get with an A+ and no practical work experience are help desk or some kind of desktop support tech job, either in-house or as a "roving repair person". The vast majority of my A+ related jobs were all short-term contract (some as short as one day). Lots of companies hired temporary tech help for Ethernet, Operating System, and Hardware rollouts (when they're upgrading their systems) to augment their in-house staff.

I agree that someone with no experience isn't going to get a Cisco related networking job right off the bat...even with their CCNA. Sorry to bring you bad news, but we've all been there.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Black-Starr

Black-Starr New Member

Thanks Trip,

I'm ok with a low paying job, I guess thats what I expected, but I didn't know what kind of job I should be going for I guess. It seems helpdesk roles are the way forward, however I would love to have a more of a hands on role, so I'll apply for desktop support roles as well with the hope of someone taking on a first timer.

As a matter of interest I'd love to hear how people got into IT, what their first jobs were, how they got them etc

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Trip's right, Jake. You start out at the bottom, and work your way up. Eventually, you'll get to do networking... just not at the start.

If it makes you feel any better, I started out as a field service tech at the age of 28, and ten years later, my career is doing great. Opportunities came for me as I gained real-world experience, as they likely will for you. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I started out at about age 48 as an independent contractor. Recruiting agencies would see my CV posted on the web and ask if I were available for various short-term rollout projects. I had a "day job" (non-IT) plus was going (back) to school at the time, so the contract work was for a little extra money plus (and a big plus) the experience I could add to my CV.

Currently, I'm on contract-to-hire at a software company as the technical writer for the Research and Development team.

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Contract-to-hire? Is that same as temp to perm?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Probably. The idea is that my employer hires me through a contracting agency. The contracting agency is my actual employer and issues my paychecks. This is sort of a test drive for the place I work at. If they like me, they have the option to hire me directly as permanent, full-time. If not, at the end of their need, they can give me the sack and hire someone else for the job, either via another contract or as a permanent hire. They can also keep me on through the current contract (I think they're renewable annually) as long as I'm willing to work as a temporary worker.

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It would seem that 'contract-to-hire' is the same as some versions of contracting in the UK.

I used to be contract - and the contract company paid me and paid taxes etc while I was contracted to various companies for various lengths of time.

Then about 8 years ago the contract company went into liquidation, and I approached the company where I was doing the contract to see if they would take me on full time. They agreed and I'm still there!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Black-Starr

Black-Starr New Member

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll start my A+ course soon and will then look to get into a helpdesk/support role asap

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I should be so lucky. :rolleyes:

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sorry just could not resist posting this:

[​IMG] :D

12. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Hey Guys

I had a chap who recently came into my work place and was after some experience with computers in general having passed he's CCNA he was turned away from numerous jobs due to lack of experience.

Now on paper technically he is better qualified than me but with a brief chat I quickly established that he's basic knowledge of computing i.e hardware , troubleshooting, repairs was pretty bleak.

I'm 22 years old as alot of people have mentioned in this topic to get yourself in the I.T sector it's about working your way up.

I grinded at the bottom for two years we're talking a trainee 1st line support role for 2 years ( apprenticeship)
    I was taken over just over 8k a year now money wasn't that ideal but hey I got my head down and grafted for two years soley for the experience.

Currently I'm a I.T technician on 17k a year I have been in this role for nearly 2 years I intend to move on to the next challenging role.

Networking and Open Source technologies seem to be my interest so that's the way I intend to go

As for getting your foot in the door look for charities, churches etc do some volunteer work for them i.e setting up and maintaining a small lan

it's all stuff to write on your cv at the end of the day

I do agree alot of people set there sights on the big certs MCSE, CCNA where places like skilltrain promise you that your walk straight into a role on 35k a year :) i'm sorry it's just not going to happen.

You need experience and experience means years of getting hands on

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Kute, but the cultural reference is lost on me. Is that a CD cover? :blink

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

No cultural reference, you're reading too much into it, look at the title of cover :wink:

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. Rep given.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Very good post

Rep given.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

I did the MCDST via self study (MS Press books and transcender). I was already pretty good with XP, but still learnt a lot.

This got me into an entry level job in 1st line support, and 9 months later I am doing 2nd line stuff as well, and got a pay rise recently.
    I have also self studied and passed 70-270 and aim to be MCSA by Feb 09

For a bit of experience, try offering to do a few Saturdays for free in an internet café or something, you might learn something there.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA