Some XP machines vulnerable to Zotob worm

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Aug 25, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Some XP machines vulnerable to Zotob worm

Some Windows XP machines are vulnerable to the Zotob worm that ran riot on Windows 2000 systems last week, Microsoft has said. In a "clarification", Microsoft said that PCs running Windows XP Service Pack 1 are also at risk if a file-sharing feature called “Simple File Sharing and ForceGuest” is enabled. The company hadn't seen any attacks trying to exploit this scenario, it said.

For the rest of the story, click Here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      Interesting. I've read quite a few posts where people said they weren't about to install SP2 on XP so I wonder how many vulnerable XP machines are out there.
    2. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      Some more info from Symantec HERE.
    3. simongrahamuk
      simongrahamuk
      Personally I hold the Microsoft marketing department responsible for the worm! I mean, if your still running w2k we'll infect you with a virus and make you upgrade. If you still havent installed XP sp2 we'll force you too!!!

Seems like a good marketing strategy to me! :twisted:
    4. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Believe it or not Simon, that thought had occurred to me. :wink:
    5. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      Micro$h@ft ? $ur€ly not !!!! :biggrin
    6. Bluerinse
      Bluerinse
      I am running W2K Pro SP4 and as far as I can tell, there is nothing for me to upgrade to :rolleyes:

XP is not an upgrade to W2K IMHO it is just eye candy for the uninitiated 8)

Pete
    7. ffreeloader
      ffreeloader
      Agreed. I don't see XP as an upgrade from 2K Pro. As far as I'm concerned 2K Pro was the zenith of MS desktops.