Some router questions

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Stoney, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Morning,

Just a little router query that I thought you chaps could help me with!

I have a VPN router (routerA) with 8 LAN ports and 2 WAN ports. The internet goes into WAN 1 and then the router feeds into a switch on LAN 1.

If I setup another router (routerB) to act as an internet gateway, do I still need to feed the incoming internet feed from routerB into the WAN 1 port on routerA? I'm thinking if it's router to router then it should go in a LAN port, yes/no?

I have tried both and I lose internet connectivity if I plug the feed from routerB into an available LAN port on routerA. I got the internet back by assigning a static IP to my pc and telling it the default gateway was routerB on xxx.xxx.xxx.254.

However, routerA is acting as a DHCP server and I don't want to assign static IP's. RouterA has been told that the default gateway is xxx.xxx.xxx.254 but it only tells the client pc's this if the internet feed is plugged into the WAN 1 port.

Where I am going wrong?

Cheers,

Paul

P.S: routerA = Linksys RV082 VPN router, routerB = Cisco 1500 router

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Stoney,

Are you sure routerB is a "Cisco 1500 router?" According to Cisco.com, 1500 is the model number for their "lightweight access points." Did you possibly mean a "Cisco _2_500 router?"

Link:
    1. Cisco Aironet 1500 Series Outdoor mesh Access Point Hardware Installation Guide, OL-9977-05 - C - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._guide_chapter09186a008079fcc6.html#wp1007889

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yes, sorry, it is an access point that BT installed. The phone system runs off this unit. BT have covered it in stickers that prevents me from seeing the model number etc!

Anyway, this unit is maintaining the leased line broadband connection, and between that and routerA is a netscreen 5GT firewall/vpn router. The netscreen is the default gateway that I am having trouble trying to get routerA to point at. :blink

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270