Some questions/concerns

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Pete01, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Sorry if some of these questions sound a bit n00bish, I'm just after some clarification on a couple of points that I'm winding myself up about:

1. Standard access lists when they are placed as close to the destination they should be applied as outgoing(for eg. if they are on the port closest to the destination) is that correct?

2. STP root bridge election does the bandwidth(cost) of the links between the various switches have any bearing on election of the root bridge or is it just the MAC address and BID? I know the paths to the root bridge after election are chosen based on bandwidth (cost), I'm just wondering if the election process uses cost as a factor. I'm about 95% sure it doesn't but I'd like to be 100% sure.

3. All the PPP authentication I've learnt about has been using CHAP, Celtic rover practice questions ask about how to configure PAP? If it's not in my study materials I assume it's not to be tested on but I could imagine being questioned on what PAP and SLIP are but not how to configure them- I see them as phased out (of the CCNA exam syllabus) like IPX.

I'm getting quite nervous about Saturday now, as I'm back at work this week I can't saturate myself with everything CCNA like I did last week leading up to the exam. I'm getting up at 5:30 am every day and doing a couple of hours before work and doing as much as I can fit in on my lunchbreak and the evening- I'm scoring higher than I have ever on practice exams and test questions, I managed to schedule my retake to coincide with an England world cup qualifier and I really couldn't care less…

The above questions I know the answers to and would treat them the way I am 95% sure is right, I'm just fighting a bit of a battle with the self doubt demons, seeing as I'm starting to get the jitters. :eek:

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Pete,

If i could help matey then of course i would. One of our networking experts will be around soon. Watch this space.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that you're right on the first two, but I can't actually remember without getting my notes out, and they're at home.

I have been told though that although you will see the majority of Q's wanting to know about CHAP, you may get one or two on PAP, but lke you said they will probably just want to make sure that you are aware of it's existance.

8)

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Pete,

1. This is correct.

2. Yes, but not in how you might think. Here is a good article on this. Scroll down to section 3.1 and there is a very good description of BDPU's.

3. I don't know what to tell you on this one. I took a different version of the test than you are. However, PAP is hardly ever used because it is so vulnerable to attack so I wouldn't doubt that Cisco is phasing it out of the testing. It isn't complicated so just do a few Google searches on it and you'll understand it pretty quickly. There's not much to it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Nice link!

Many thanks.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  6. Jonathan

Jonathan Nibble Poster

Pete

PAP is tested on CCNA. Its very simple you should have done it on your bootcamp course.

A way to do it is:

Get two routers

1 Named RouterA 1 Named RouterB created usernames and password.

Then set the serial interface encapsulation to ppp and the the authentication to pap i.e. ppp authentication pap.

You can test it by doing a debug, debug ppp authentication. If you shutdown the serial interface then enable it again it will get the debug going!!!

I'll answer the others later!

Try and relax am sure you will pass 2nd time

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP BSCI