some question

Discussion in 'Networks' started by volume, Oct 19, 2009.

1. volume

volume Nibble Poster

Hey guys got some questions

(back round information that may help) My computer is connected to a modem and gives me 10MBs so I bought a wireless router so I could connect my PC and parents laptop to the internet all at the same time and we both get 10MBs

First how does a a Sever share internet connection ?
    Could i buy a desktop computer and install Windows sever 2003 on it and will it support both windows xp and vista ?

Certifications: 70-722, 70-721, 70-621
    WIP: 70-720, 790, 791
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

You don't need a server OS to share the connection, especially if you have a wireless router. You should plug the cable from the phoneline into the router (which is going to the modem at the minute) then configure the settings in the router (you may need to get details from your ISP if you don't know them).

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

hope this helps

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You realise that if you are all connected to the same internet at the same time, you wont ALL get 10 Mb/s, you will get a share of that. Wont be a problem for web browsing, but you will notice it if one of you starts downloading large files, etc.

This is only the case if the OP has actually bought a ADSL Modem/Router. If they have a simple router, then it would need to go from the phone to the modem, and into the router from there. However I suspect you are right in that the OP has bought an ADSL modem/router.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present