Some Help Please, i may have been an idiot!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sambangert, Apr 2, 2008.

1. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

I've bought some bits and peices from ebay to build a system and think i may have bought an imcompatible processor for my motherboard or vice versa. I'm basically building it so i can do a Comptia A+, and all in all the bits and peices have cost me around £60.

This is the processor i have: P4 2.6ghz, http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL6WH,
    The motherboard is one i got from ebay, i can't find any real details on the internet about it but heres a page with some on: http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h448.htm. It's a peice of crap basically!!! But cheap, i let my pocket rule and i think i have have paid the price for not researching.

My problem is the cpu is only running at 1.3ghz (100 x 13). In cmos there are no options at all for changing the speed. This is where i think I have bought the wrong motherboard for the processor. Also i'm installing xp, and i've never known anything go so slow. I've got 512mb of Ram.

Basically, do i need a new motherboard or processor????? (Please don't flame me, this is the first time i've sourced the bits lol).

WIP: A+
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

The only thing that I can see that is incompatible is that the Bus speed on the processor is 800, yet the motherboard only supports 400/533 Mhz. I'm not certain but I believe that this will stop you getting the most out of your processor on your board.

You would alter the speed in the BIOS, not the CMOS. When you boot the pc you should get a message telling you which key to hold down to enter the BIOS. Have a look see in there for the CPU speed.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

yep sorry i meant the bios. I've been going over the motherboard and processor and i've come to the same conclusion, the fsb speeds. In the bios theres no options whatsoever to change the speed. The speed of the processor is 1.3. I think if i remember, the bus speed is running at 100.

4. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep all you had to do was alter the speed in the BIOS but basically that would be overclocking so you would have had account for heat ie add lots of cooling.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

Went into the bios and there's no option to change the speed, literally went through all of the options and nothing. The option with the speed on was greyed out and wouldn't let me go onto it.

Also the computer going mega slow, it's taken me over 4 hrs to install xp and still not done.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You'll need to select something else to make the greyed out options available, like (on mine)enable AI overclock etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

its not set by jumpers is it like it used to be in the good ol' days, although if the mobo only supports 400fsb and the cpu is an 800fsb then that will effectively halve your cpu speed. even so it shouldnt take 4 hours to install XP.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. sambangert

sambangert Bit Poster

No jumpers on it. I personally just think incompatible mobo and cpu. Teach me for not researching.