Some help / advice would be greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Patch230, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

It's been a while since I've been here due to work and family commitments so I appologise if this seems like I'm just appearing out of the blue then dissapearing but I do regularly follow a lot of the threads here even if I am only "lurking".

Ive recently applied for a job as a technical support analyst covering mainly 1st/2nd line from what i gather, and I've got through to the second interview. Now its been 8 years since I've had an interview - I'm pretty much ready for the "why should we hire you " sort of questions but what sort of technical questions could I expect for this sort of role ?

I know thats a big scope to cover, I'm going over everything i can think of from user support to tcp/ip issues and so on, so any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: MCDST MCSA
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Go on then. Why SHOULD we hire you?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

To answer that one,

While I understand there are other candidates who also have the ability to do this this job, I feel I bring additional qualities that would make me an ideal candidate.

I would then mention the fact I'm a methodical worker (all very well saying I'm just a "hard worker" but hard work with no method is like trying to push a boulder up a hill), An excellent problem solver, able to work well both in a team and on my own, able to "think on my feet". Also that communication and interpersonal skills are key elements of my current role.

All of which I can back up with examples

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  4. westernkings

If I rang your manager now and asked him to describe you in three words, what would he say? and if i rang your friends, what would they say?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So... you are saying that you would be unable to methodically push a boulder up a hill. I see. <scribbles notes>

Please continue. :twisted:

:biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. westernkings

I'd usually delegate it someone else as quickly as possible haha. :D

7. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

I would be able to methodically push a boulder up a hill with the correct planning and procedure. Including equipment specifically designed for the task, adherence to both health and safety procedures and risk assessments.

My friends would describe me as approachable friendly and reliable

My manger would describe me as reliable efficient and a team-player

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  8. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

Got made an offer today which I duly excepted ! Things are looking up !

All I can say is studying, preparation and never giving up certainly paid off !

:biggrin

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!