some general questions regarding MCSE 2003

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by PlayaEyez, Nov 12, 2007.

1. PlayaEyez

PlayaEyez New Member

Hi there
    Im just about to do some background research for the MCSE 2003 exams before i go ahead and book the exams. I have a few points which i am unsure about and would like your opinions on if i can.

1. I have read that Microsoft have stopped using Pearson Vue and have opted for Thomson Prometric test centres. Is there any difference with the two?

2. What format are the questions in and how long is each exam?

3. Can you go back to questions which you may have missed or skipped?

4. What is the pass mark and how is it marked?

5. What exams do you recommend from the core requirements to do first?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

1. I have read that Microsoft have stopped using Pearson Vue and have opted for Thomson Prometric test centres. Is there any difference with the two?

No difference what - but i think in some countries the prices are different.. you need to check the sites for each to confirm this - but i guess as of end of the year we have no choice! :(

2. What format are the questions in and how long is each exam?

You can get theoretical questions and simulations. I.e. you choose the right answers or perform certain tasks the question asks you to do.

3. Can you go back to questions which you may have missed or skipped?

Yes

4. What is the pass mark and how is it marked?

700 and we dont know how MS marks their exams.. sorry

5. What exams do you recommend from the core requirements to do first?

I suggest you do 70-270 (XP) as your client exam and (620) as your elective - that way you have both clients under your belt.

Oh and welcome to CF8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. PlayaEyez

PlayaEyez New Member

Many thanks for your reply zimbo
    To break it down a bit further........

I have read somewhere that each of the 7 exams is 1hr 30min and you have approx 50 questions to answer. Is this correct?

I take it that MS mark out of 1000?.............so does that mean the pass mark is 70%?

The cost of each exam is £88+VAT from my findings

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

My understanding from the MS exams are; the price is the same, the passmark is 700/1000, the amount of questions vary, as does the maximum time allowed. I always give Pearson (or now, you need to give prometric) a call; they can tell you the maximum amount of time, although not sure if they know the number of questions.

I find the following url with the exam code in also helps;

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.mspx (replace 70.270)

Hope this helps.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT