some dsl and voip questions

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kobem, Dec 30, 2006.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

anyone interested in voip i mean voice over ip

first my confusion is i think if there must be an internet also there must be
    a computer over there . Is this true ?

and for voip: if we get to do voip in a company and we should have voip devices
    in it then i want to communicate the analog phones between two branch offices
    is it enough to have just voip gateways ?

another thing if we try to use voip phones what will change? can we use voip phones
    without computer support ? i have seen somewhere "you can use voip phones
    everywhere while travelling or... but how can it connect to the internet while
    travelling?

last one is for dsl : i mean adsl ; while connecting from home to the internet
    via dsl we use telephone line from isp and an internet cable for dsl and internet
    ok then we use fast ethernet for modem to pc connecting.

if we want to do voip in a company across dsl how can we perform it ? do we
    need a computer again?

schema :

analog phone - adc - voip device - router-modem - isp - modem-router - voip device-dac - analog phone is this right and where would be the dsl here?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have an interest - both personal and because my company is doing this.
    Not quite. VOIP requires an Internet connection, but does not require an ordinary computer *normaly*. (I am excluding Skype from this - which is non-standard).
    My VOIP phone is an ordinarly BT phone (actualy - an office model - 2025) connected to an adaptor which has an RJ11 for the phone and an RJ45 for the network.

Depends on what you mean by a 'gateway'. In theory a good VOIP phone can connect to another VOIP phone without gateways.

The same way you connect to the Internet while traveling. In theory I can phone anybody from anywhere in the world I happen to be in, and it will appear to originate from a town in Kent!

I can't really work out what you are saying here. ADSL or DSL requires (in the UK) an ordinary telephone line to work over. The modem is connected to your local system either via USB (for simple one PC systems) or via Ethernet for networks.

Strictly - no computer is required. Just use the DSL as the Internet connection.
    Warning - the general Internet is sometimes not good enough for good quality voice. VOIP stands for "Voice Over IP" - not "Voice over Internet". To get a reliable business quality voice connection may require a special connection.

You are simplifying so much here that I'm not sure what the 'correct' answer is. But a good approximation is to say that DSL is between the user and their ISP.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+