Problem some basic question about network overhead

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by sirene, Dec 2, 2009.

1. sirene

sirene New Member

I am not quite sure if it is the right place to ask this particular question ; if not , I apologize and would be more than happy to be informed about the right place to ask this question.

There is an Access Point (AP) , which is the central manager of a network : it keeps track of how many nodes are connected to it, when to download, when to upload, what amount of data each node has etc.
    It has 3 TDM cycle for (i) downloading, (ii)uploading & (iii)association for new nodes when it has enough resource to accomodate new ones.
    It will send the downlink data one by one , dividing the time cycle between them, according to dataload,priority of each station. It will send token to the stations for uplink transmission, and the stations will send data according to the token.

My questions are:

* When the AP sends downlink data to nodes, which cause lowest overhead : broadcasting or unicasting ?

* Similarly, is it efficient to broadcast the token message or unicast?

* Usually the data load will be higher in the Uplink cycle, i.e. when the nodes send data to the AP, or in the downlink cycle,where the AP sends data to the nodes?

* Infrastructure mode or Ad-hoc mode causes lowest overhead?

One more thing, the objective of this network is to ensure largest possible throughput, lowest delay/jitter possible, i.e. successful multimedia transmission along with data transmission.

Thanks.

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

If thats not a question you've been given from uni as homework I'll eat my hat!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Terracotta

Terracotta

Terracotta

I'm not so sure about this one, but as far as I know it's Terracotta

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Thats all wrong Qs, if you take string theory and mix it with the mayan calandar then you will come up with a overhead of 2.5

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's only for unicast. Broadcast has more overhead. It's broader, after all.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

I'm wondering if he's talking Access Points (AP), or Critical Resistance Access Points. . . .

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

By golly BM your spot on, after ajusting my quantum equation to include the broader range my numbers where infact incorrect, just hope the OP hasn't submitted his homework base on a forum answer :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. sirene

sirene New Member

Is it a crime to ask, what Terracotta is?
    I found on wiki "Terracotta is an open source JVM-level clustering software for Java"..
    if it is what you are talking about,I am confused about what it has to do with my wireless network...
    I am getting more and more confused seeing the replies...Why people cant answer simple question in a simple way :(

9. sirene

sirene New Member

It is not my homework, but if you don't wanna eat up your hat, that is OK with me :)

10. sirene

sirene New Member

I only said Access Point, why you are coming up with the idea of Critical Resistance Access Points? I don't even know what it is...
    I am getting more and more confused...I only asked about a simple 802.11 WLAN infrastructure topology with an AP and some wireless nodes ; all I asked was about the network overhead and which topology is better,infrastructure or ad-hoc -
    Is this forum only for very intellectual people?

11. BosonMichael

Why in the world would you ask those questions if they weren't homework questions? They have no practical application.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Someone pass the salt :biggrin

13. sirene

sirene New Member

:D
    you really don't have to do it ....you can have any flavored tea instead .
    Or, you only reply my question instead, the best option .......:S

14. BosonMichael

Ball's in your court. You reply to mine, and I'll consider answering yours.

15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Sirene - it might help if your first post wasn't asking a question that does appear it's from a course.

How about using the New Member area and just posting an introduction to yourself first ?

If you tell us what your background is, experience in IT, certs you currently have and are studying for and perhaps explain here how/why you you got this question and it's need fopr answering then I'm sure you'll find people happy to help out.

At the moment it just doesn't ring true as something that an IT student would ask unless they've taken the question from somewhere.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  16. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

This. I'd like to know as well. This was my first impression to OP.
    We do not answer homework questions because in 5 years time we don't want to work with junior IT lads who googled their way through studies.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  17. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Kobem - guaranteed

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  18. BosonMichael

I don't mind working with junior IT lads who Googled their way through studies. I don't want to work with junior IT lads who want others to answer all their questions for them without first doing the research themselves.

19. JK2447

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thats a good distinction to make. Google has answered a lot of my own questions throughout my studies/career/life in general! But I know what you meant Luke. No one likes a fraudster in their midst.