Some advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Necroscope, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Hi I’m currently on a mail migration contract since June and signed a 1 month extension contract to the end of this month but for the last 3 weeks been sitting around pretty much doing nothing just chasing up the hard to reach people, waiting for the next part of the mail migration to start but the problem is there is no start date for when that will happen. So after 3 weeks doing nothing is starting to bore the hell out of me and only coming into work for 4-5 hours to make a half dozen calls. Was thinking about handing in my 1 week notice, but talk to the client first and explain the reason for thinking of doing this and if they wish to have me back when the next part kicks off be more than happy to come back.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Do you have another job to go to?

If not then youre basically getting paid to do no work, time you could be spending revising and learning :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
    dmarsh likes this.
  3. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

No I don't have another job at the moment getting for doing nothing is ok for awhile but after a while really does get boring just surfing the net (certforums) ;) ... Was looking at going back to studying in December as this contract was due to finish at the end of November and keeping my certs in line with my experience was looking at 70-681 but decided 70-680 should be the way for me to go just abit earlier than I than I expected .... Esp as December abit of a dry month for contracts and I could get in about 5 hours studying aday .... As over the next 12-18 months company's be updating to Win7 and as I mainly been doing rollout/deployments

WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680
  4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I know it must be boring but if you haven't got another job...then stick with it

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Also, if there isn't anything for you to do you might ask them if they need help (your skills) with anything else. This could lead to a permanent position sometimes (only if you would want that of course).

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Why not study at work?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Tough to be in that situation, from time to time I also experience quiet moments, sometimes up to 4-6 weeks then it picks up. My suggestion is you should take the quiet time and learn something that would help your job. I remember 4 years ago when I first started learning about VMware, every quiet week that I'd have, I'd be learning about ESX/VC to try and get ahead. I'll tell you in a six month period, I've learned quite a bit.

If you're really unhappy to a point where you're not motivated to even study, you could always look for something else while you're in this role. Ask yourself what you really want and go with it. I wouldn't recommend you leaving your job if you haven't secured another, you'll find that looking for work while unemployed is harder than when you're employed.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

Already did that and managed to escape my desk for 3 days going to users desktops to install some updated software and edit config file. Since we started this project we have moved IT Dept and this one gives us very limited access right not even enough really to do the job, not only us the engineers moan about how little access they have as well under this IT dept compared to the other IT dept in the company. I will get the books for 70-680 and get back into studying till the next part kicks off hopefully sooner than later ... Guess the longer it gets dragged out the longer i'm still in work :dry

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  9. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

You could always talk to the company and explain that whilst things are slow you could be helping elsewhere? Shows willing and may get you a contract extension on another project.
    G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  10. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

We have got the green light for the next phase of the project :) ... Also the client asked would i be interested in staying till mid/end of December :biggrin .... Now get the 70-680 books for those quite times to get abit of studying in.

11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Good news!

Also, from experience, an e-reader makes studying a little less obvious. :D

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  12. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

LOL ..... Very true ;)

13. googlyfish

googlyfish New Member

It’s really a great and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful info with us.