Some advice please.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Baba O'Riley, May 20, 2005.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hello to everyone. I've joined this forum in the hope of getting some advice from people older and wiser than myself so I hope that applies to someone here! By the way, sorry if this is going to be a long post.

I've always had a career in IT in mind so I started to read for a degree in Computer Engineering. For various reasons I packed it in and went travelling for a few years. Now I'm back in the country and need to decide what to do with the rest of my life.

I like the idea of working towards the MSCSE but I'm not decided on what route to take to get there. My local FE college offers the MSCSE and they're suggesting the CompTIA A+ as a first step because I can use that as an elective exam with the MSCSE. They gave me a free trial of it and it looks quite good but of course it's all online and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing (It's good in that I can carry on working, bad because I have little oppurtunity for practical experience). This course is around £80 and £80 for each of the two exams which seems reasonable. Plus, if I complete it in twelve weeks they release another course (is it likely that I'll complete it in twelve weeks?). They are also running a week long camp in the summer for the MSDST which is £600. I like the sound of this but is a big asking price.

The other alternative at the moment is I have someone from the National IT Learning Center coming round next week. Does anyone have any comments about these guys, good or bad?

Basically, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Baba o Reilly (with a handle like that, you're a hit already !)

Basic answer would be, you've already found the right place, right down to the very sub-forum. All the questions you raise are already here in the Training & Dev board - just spend some time trawling through past posts and Threads for no end of valuable answers to help you out.

You've certainly come to the right place for answers, my friend - in the meantime, why not swing by our New Members board to say a proper "hello" :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity