1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some advice please?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by benp6, May 1, 2011.

1. benp6

benp6 New Member

Hi all,

I have recently been looking for a new job, i am 19 years old and am currently selling myself short working in a dead end job for a pity-full amount of money. However, my partners farther has offered me a job in it, starting out in tech support for his company. However, i have never worked in it before and i would be required to do a comptia a+ whilst working for him. The prospects in this company are massive, and i have already been given a 'road map' of certificates, which with time, will make my rise up the pay scale all the more pleasant.

I was wondering how, for someone like me, with no experience, i will find doing the comptia a+? is it achievable from my situation? would i pick up the skills with no experience?

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes this is a perfect entry level certification that you can easily self study for with the right study materials.

I would recommend this..

Mike Meyers A+ AIO 7th edition.

Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) (9780071701334): Michael Meyers: Books

Also Professor messer on-line videos are great and free..

Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Nework+, Microsoft Certification Training

Take some time to learn about the re-certification requirements etc on CompTIA's web site.

Good luck!
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sounds like a dream opportunity - hands on experience, certs thrown in and plenty of growth space.
    Not really sure what advice you need, other than 'go for it!'
    Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

echo the others, do it! people look for roles like these for months, if not years sometimes
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Been looking for months, still looking now.

Grab it with both hands and if there is an opening let me in! :)
    Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  6. benp6

benp6 New Member

thanks guys. yeah it does seem a fantastic opportunity, i am just slightly concerned that i will be going to into an industry which i don't possess a working knowledge of. I just worry from the things i see on this forum that i will struggle to learn it on the job and out of the books.