Some Advice Please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dctarbuck, Apr 24, 2007.

1. dctarbuck

dctarbuck New Member

Hi there

I am new to this forum... I stumbled across it doing some research about The Skills Train.

I am 25 and have been involved in the IT industry since leaving school in 1997. I am presently acting as an instructor for a software company. I also maintain there website and forum (phpbb). In the last few months i have built 4 websites including installing a zen cart for one of our customers. I am very lucky in that with IT i pick things up with relative ease. I have started to play with C# using VS2005 Express!

What i would like to know is how you all think it would be best for me to progress and gain some qualifications. Being a father to Twins and another baby on the way both money and time are a little tight! Any Suggestions?

I would like to go down the programming route and take on contract work in the suffolk/essex area by the end of next year which is why i need to start something now!

Many thanks for spending the time looking at this and please be as honest and to the point as you can with your answers!

Dan:biggrin

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmm well studying takes time and lots of it. If you haven't got the time, personally i would wait until you do have spare time.

Also, consider the OU, their courses are affordable and very good i believe.

Be very careful if you decide to go the training provider route, some of their advertising and sales techniques are bordering on criminal. Research them well, search their name here and learn as much as you can prior to parting with any hard earned cash.

Self study is the preferred method of most people here including me. I did go with a training provider but in retrospect, i would never do that again.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. dctarbuck

dctarbuck New Member

Hi thanks for the reply...

I am willing to make time just is always late at night or early morning... At the end of the day its my future i have to think about! I have done alot of self tutoring up until this point but i was inthe understanding that having some qualifications on paper would help me towards my goal.

Is this true?

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Having "bits of paper", in my opinion does help alot. Put it this way, if two people went for the same job, both had exactly the same experience, but only 1 had certs or quals, which one would you hire? Which one, from a business point of view, would be the prefered choice?

If you can, I would recommend going to college in the evenings (there are courses that run either 1 or 2 evening a week), the plus side is that those courses are cheaper than the OU, on the otherhand the OU is (or should I say the majority of the time) is down to you.

The other option for you is, again, self study, and do the professional programming exam, like the MCSD, MCAD, MCPD, or Java certified. The exams are abit pricey, but can be cheaper than going to college* (this is dependant on how many exams you do and if there are any failed exams in the process.)

For example a .Net Programming Diploma at my local college is £283 (this inc the exam fee also) vs. 3 exams for the MCAD** (approx £88 - £120 depending on where you buy them - this is the the cheapest MS "programming" option apart from just a single MCP), also take into consideration any material, books, CBTs, test prep software, and software that you may need. Certification and qualification is a game to be played not lightly :)

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck on your studies (congrats on your baby that's on it's way) :)

-Ken

** the MCSD is 5 exams, etc...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I with BlueRinse on this one, twins and a baby on the way, plus full time work, family commitments and all the other stuff life throws at you?

How are you going to find the time?

Anyway have you look at this link for free programming tools

Also have you seen the programming section in this form?

If not click here

Whatever you decide good luck:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. dctarbuck

dctarbuck New Member

Hi Guys

Thanks very much for these idea's. The main reason for asking is that my family live in suffolk and i am based in Boston, Lincs. My Mum is quite ill... But she has my step dad to look after her.. As for my grandparents... They have no one to look after them.. So I am feeling increased pressure to go down and do the family thing. The problem is what i would do for work when i get there. Which is why I would like to start getting something under my belt now.

I had the quote from 'The Skills Train' £3220:eek: For a Comptia course in programming with C#?!?!? £75 per month for 4 years!!! I certainly think it would be best to do some more selt tutoring first!

I will take a look at all the links you posted this eve and see if i can go from there...

!!:D Muchas Muchas Gracia's:D !!

Dan