Some advice please

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by ZZR1100, Feb 23, 2007.

1. ZZR1100

ZZR1100 Bit Poster

Hi all. Glad i found this forum..

Ive just signed up here - and i must admit i a little overwhelmed at the scope of the MSCE/ A+ M+ etc etc.

Basically, Im looking to get back into I.T. I was a 'computer engineer' (repairs, build, diagnosis etc) for about 4 years, up until 2003 when i changed jobs. I have still kept my eye in since then, with my own computer and making a bit of money fixing other peoples.
    Im totally confident with regards to hardware, and Windows software (but not so much the networking and server side of things).

So i guess my first question is - Is the A+ a worth while Cert for my experience? I think it would be fairly easy for me, so is it worth doing just for the Cert?
    I think a networking is my weak point, so maybe a M+ would be better?

I am i right in thinking the A+ and M+ are not MS certified courses?

Im tempted to go with 'paid course' via, Computeach, Advent, Bluelogic etc Because i think it will be stressful enough learning the required info, let alone sourcing books etc. I realise there are many topics on this, but what is the general view upon these companies on this forum? I would like to pay for my own exams though, as i go.

I feel as if MSCE will be the best all round, if only for the credentials that a Microsoft approved Cert brings.

Any advice, is much appriciated. Taking into account my experience, and the fact id like to get a hands on job, preferably as field engineer or something similar. I dont want to be telesupport, thats for sure.

What should be my next step?

thank you.

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi ZZR1100,

Judging from your experience and hands on from computer builds including software tweaks and install your better off doing self study to attain the A+.

After completion of the A+ tidy up your CV and start job searching on (Jobserve) the natural progression from there would be going for the MCSE the daddy of IT infrastructure certs. I would stay away from companies that offer to train you and then they charge £££ hard earned cash.

Get the books and two good computers with VMWare installed for virtualisation so that you can carry out the hands on whilst studying through the books.

Remember the IT career field is a survival of the fittest type of field and is not a minefield to lots of money either. Cheerio and best wishes:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

There's some good advice there given by onoski:thumbleft

If your going through a learning provider, just remember to read the small print before parting with any money. Chances are that if you become ill and stop studying you can't always freeze your course and will end up shelling out more money to resit exams or modules you have missed.8)

A+ is a good starting point in the IT world, it gives you a solid foundation and basic understanding of Hardware and software within the IT field.

Let's just say, it would be unwise to skip A+.

A+ is a starting point of the long road to certification.
    The IT world moves fast and you have to be prepared to move with it. If you want a career in IT.8)

Comptia A+ & N+ is not a Microsoft course, but it is reconised throughtout the world. Having a MCSE does not guarantee you a job

Have a look under the A+ section of the forum to get some feedback on A+.
    Then, using the search option on CF use keywords such as Computeach and read the feedback from some of the members here.

Good luck on whatever you decide.8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

No problem. Hope it helps.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT